X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Netweaver
    • Jul 2006

Subwoofer Recommendation for Tempest Replacement

Greetings.

I am HT enthusiast and a long time lurker in this forum and few other forums for my HT needs.

Couple of years ago I built ( My wife helped a lot) 6 Kit 281 and one LCC for our basement Home theater powered by Sony 4ES and Sony LCD projector VPL HS20 with a Momitsu 880. I complete the 7.1 setup with a Velodyne CT120.

Finally it is time to do a real Subwoofer. Since I have all Adire, I almost pulled the trigger on Tempest with 214L Adire Alignment Vented Box.

But after looking some of the Sub Show cases here I am wanting more and make sure I built a Sub which should last for a while. Here is my situation and I would greatly appreciate your help.

1. The Sub will be in the open basement 13 x 35 x 7 ( WxLxH). The seating area is approximately 13x17x7.

2. It is 100% HT. We want to have Tight Bass to sub 20Hz.

3. The family do not like lot of SPL and we tend to keep little lower than the reference volume.

4. Size of the Box is not an issue.

5. Budget is flexible for the right product. Not too high not too low somewhere in the middle where there is a good price to performance.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,

PK
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Might as well copy either the sealed or ported designs using the SoundSplinter RL-p15".

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

You might want to look up "----k----" and PM him about his sub project. I believe he lives very close to you.

Comment

• Netweaver
        • Jul 2006

I will pm ----K-----. We are in the same city.

Will it be beneficial to use RLP15 or TC3000/LMS4xxx series from TCSounds.

Thanks.

Comment

• Netweaver
          • Jul 2006

Thomas,

You mean to say I can use one of the Adire Plan and just plug in the RL-P15 instead of the Tempest?

Thanks.

PK

Comment

• Greybeard191
            • Jan 2005

The tempest classics are dirt cheap... buy 4 and go sealed/LT with 1200-1400 watts

Comment

• opt-e
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Netweaver
              You mean to say I can use one of the Adire Plan and just plug in the RL-P15 instead of the Tempest?
              I think he probably means use one of the plans for the RLP15 on this site.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by opt-e
                I think he probably means use one of the plans for the RLP15 on this site.
                Yep.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Netweaver
                  • Jul 2006

Greybeard191,

I am not sure about 4 Tempest 15s. But two Tempests in the same box sounds interesting with an EP1500 or EP2500 Amp.

Could some one please point me if there is a link for a Dual Tempests done already or a Box and Port size I would need these in a single enclosure.

If not which Software I need to use to calculate Box/Port size for Two Tempests in single enclosure tuned to about 16Hz.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

I got his his PM. We'll set something up in the next week or so. I can probably also hook him up with a ported RL-P15 (not mine!).

I think the RL-P15 designs that are out there are proven winners, both the ported and sealed ones. I think these are probably the best value and performers if you can afford them. The RS 15" drivers are probably also to be considered.

The Tempest is such an old driver. Ignoring costs, it can't be comparable to the RL-p15 or RS 15, can it???
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
                      The Tempest is such an old driver. Ignoring costs, it can't be comparable to the RL-p15 or RS 15, can it???
                      It was a state of the art driver 6+yrs ago. It's performance is now easily bested by the newer drivers.

One wonders who will handle the customer service/repairs since Adire is not involved with the production of the 'classic' drivers. Those have been reincarnated by CSS/Acoustic-Visions in order to have some product to sell, that has the Adire brand associated with it.

For those that don't know Adire is out of the DIY audio business, that having been taken over by Hemp Acoustics.

An additional benefit of the PE drivers (other than their technical superiority) is PE's rock solid 5 yr guarantee and excellent customer service.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                        • Aug 2001

It was a state of the art driver 6+yrs ago. It's performance is now easily bested by the newer drivers.
                        I remember when we were calling it "the 15" Shiva" before it actually had a name.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Yeah,

We do need to persuade a few more people to build subs with the PE RS15 drivers so there is a little more diveristy. The endless, solve every single problem, best sub ever recommendation of RL-p15 is starting to approach the same level as the same endless, best sub commercial sub, recommendation we see on some boards. I like it, but....
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Netweaver
                            • Jul 2006

Points taken on Tempest and will drop it from consideration.

How about a 6 to 8 ft3 vented design with RL-P15 or TC Sounds TC2000 or TC -3000.

Thanks.

PK

Comment

• Greybeard191
                              • Jan 2005

why... 4 tempests will run you at around $600. You get a starting point of 95db+ 1 W/1 Meter. Sealed in 10-12 cu ft will get you something that can be LT'd to pretty low extension/Q, giving up some of the efficency (as compared to mid-band) to do so.

Anyway, I'm almost finished just this setup... I'll let you know how it turned out.

GB

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                                • Nov 2004

I remember when we were calling it "the 15" Shiva" before it actually had a name.
                                I still call it that!
                                My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Netweaver
                                  • Jul 2006

Greybeard191 ,

Could you please provide more info on your design, size of the box and Amp needed.

Any constuction pictures would be great.

Thanks.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                    • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
                                    I still call it that!
                                    And I call a Tumult an "Uber-15".

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                                      • Nov 2004

I wonder what happened to the guy who came up with "Tumult". Did he get his free Uber-15?
                                      My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Greybeard191
                                        • Jan 2005

No pics yet, still on camera.

internal box size is 18"x20" by 70" tall. Double layered .75" MDF all around, three layers on front. .25" oak plywood and quarter round finish similar to what Bill Eckles has done with most of the stuff he builds. Net volume ends up around 380-390 liters or so, minusing the braces, drivers, and amp

Amp is an Adire ADA-1200, which I've owned lots longer than the drivers. You don't need this amp in particular... the LT is nice, but you could probably better with a pro amp and extensive EQ for the same price or cheaper, plus get some added flexbility. Plus the ADA series amps are currently out-of-stock everywhere. Still a neat package if you can get one.

I chose the box size based on wanting the system to be power-limited, not excursion limited. I know the LT is going to cost extensive headroom, but I'm starting out 9db (95 vs 86) ahead of the Tumult 15D2 I was going to use (returned due to mechanical/spec issues). In theory 1200 watts with these drivers gets you 126db max without any boundary or room gain (above rolloff). I give some of that up for more extension.

As to how it turns out... I'll let you know. First time for trying something like this. Daughter has nicknamed it the "Obelisk of Doom" Currently at the staining/finishing stage. Next up:wiring, house wiring for amp, stuffing, driver insertion, test box for Qtc/Fb, modify LT, test and EQ as best is possible. Another week probably.

GB

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"