X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Level matching when using active XO.

I have a CX2310 on its way, replacing a hacked-up DIY XO that I'd been using. What's the best way to correctly level-match the two amps/drivers? I have a laptop, mic and preamp. Should I buy a higher resolution version of TrueRTA and use that to balance the levels with pink noise? Any way I can do this using Speaker Workshop or Room EQ Wizard?

Thanks,
    Saurav
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Saurav
    I have a CX2310 on its way, replacing a hacked-up DIY XO that I'd been using. What's the best way to correctly level-match the two amps/drivers? I have a laptop, mic and preamp.
    You could use the individual level controls on the crossover....... :B

Okay just teasing ....:wink:

This is a situation where trusting one's ears comes in to play. Sure take a look with a measurement program, but in the end adjust the levels to what sounds best .....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Well, I have pretty different gain/power/sensitivity on both sides of the XO, so I'm pretty sure keeping the highpass and lowpass at the same level isn't going to work.

Though I like the "fiddle until satisfied" approach. Wait, that didn't come out right...

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I don't know what rez level you have of TrueRTA, the free version won't work for this but even the 1/3rd octave will give you what you need. If you have the higher rez level with the quick sweep that would be nice for more than just this project.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Well, I have the free version, but I've been thinking of buying the 1/3rd or 1/6th octave version for a while now. I can record pink noise and tone sweeps with Speaker Workshop too, but that becomes a very snapshot-y process, it's certainly not real-time.

So with 1/3rd octave resolution... should I use a tone sweep or pink noise? Frequency limited to around the XO region, or wider? Mic positioned at listening height? And I read something about pointing the mic at the ceiling when doing RTA measurements?

Thanks for the help

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I think the sweep is only included in the $99 version. The sweep itself is pink noise done quickly to avoid room interaction.

I'd start off with mic relatively nearfield, 6" or so from the baffle. The look at the 1-meter response.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Saurav
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Thanks. That makes sense. I was measuring from way out into the room. Though the woofer is in a box and the midrange is on an open baffle This'll be fun. I'll probably tweak it by ear in the end anyway, but at least this'll get me in the ballpark.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                • Aug 2001

Ideally you would want to take the speaker, amps and crossover outside and do the level matching there with TrueRTA. Taking a few measurements to highlight different interactions can piece together a good picture of what is going on. A typical measurement on-axis outdoors will inevitably have you dealing with the ground reflection. Take this at two different distances for a first point of reference and to get the drivers in general proximity of each other so far as level.

Now on hard pavement prop/angle the speaker downward and find the location that your intended on-axis point hits the ground. Get the edge of the mic within about 1/4" of the ground, and now take some measurements. You will have some added hash above the tweeter's crossover, but you now have gotten around the problem of the ground reflection and can work with more readable curves when adjusting relative levels. Again the point here is to set the relative level, so absolute levels really don't matter. In room you will have some other things to contend with, but at least you know where you are starting from. Likewise, you can then know that what you are adjusting for is an acoustic issue and is something you might want to try addressing directly rather than with crossover adjustments.
                Mark Seaton
                "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"