X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blownrx7
    • Dec 2004

What to use for 12" sub replacement

I asked this question over a year ago and at the time chose to just refoam the drivers. But now I am ready to replace them. My only problem is the drivers I had chosen don't exist anymore. I was going to use the Adire DPL12 - discontinued. I also had the AE Speakers 12" on my short list - the company appears to have evaporated...
    I have a pair of ACI Saturn enclosures (sealed 2.7 cu ft (~77 liter)) that I want to upgrade the drivers on. What is the best down-firing driver out there for appx. $350 each or less?
    SQ is more important to me than spl. It is for a HT setup that I also enjoy using to play surround music.
    TIA
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

You do mean 2.7cuft right?

With that said, I suggest this driver. It models well in a ~77 liters, is low distortion, built like a tank, suitable for downfiring, and decent excursion.

Comment

• blownrx7
      • Dec 2004

12" replacement for existing 2.7cuft enclosure

WillyD,
      Thanks for the info. I have corrected my initial post and clarified how much I'd like to spend. Would that move your suggestion to the TC2000 or even the LMS 4000 (a bit out of my budget but may be worth the extra cash as I am really looking for SQ)?
      I have one reservation about the TC's and that is their efficiency (at least for the 2000 and 4000...).
      My ACI's were passive subs and I was using two of the channels from my Parasound A51 to drive them - 400W into 4 ohms. Is that enough to get a pair of TC's to sing in a 2400cuft room? OR should I adapt the enclosures to accept a 500-1000w plate amp? OR use a bigger external amp?
      Thanks.

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

Well, once the new T/S parameters from TC-Sounds (as well as the enclosure recommendations) are out (should be soon) we will have a better idea of how the TC2000 or another line would work in your current enclosures.

I do know that the LMS lineup supposedly works best in pretty small enclosures though (smaller than yours). I think your current Amp would be fine for the TC-1000s, but if you move up the line, especially with an LMS, more power would be highly recommended.

You could also just call up TC Sounds, give them your budget, current enclosure size, and ask them what would work best.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
          • Nov 2004

LMS lineup supposedly works best in pretty small enclosures though
          Haha! Not when I threw them in a vented box. Lolz!

Four 12's in 1100liter box tuned to ~12hz. Yeeooozzzaaaa!!!!
          My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Look at the 12" drivers from www.oaudio.com
            They're TC-Sounds TC2+ and are a very good driver (they're better (lower distortion/higher output)than the DPL-12, note I have both)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• blownrx7
              • Dec 2004

Willy D,
              Good suggestion! I will send a note to TC sounds and see what they suggest.

ThomasW,
              Thanks for the info - it is great to hear from someone who really has experienced both.
              Since that time when I was leaning toward the DPL12, my budget was a lot lower (<$200), now I'm willing to go up to 350-400/driver - I only want to do this once.
              Very interesting that you like the TC2+ better than the DPL12. When I spec'd them out for my enclosure, it appeared the DPL12 was the better match... Goes to show that different parameters will make a particular design shine better. There is never a single "BEST" for all situations.
              OR specs are never the whole story too...

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                • Aug 2001

Very interesting that you like the TC2+ better than the DPL12. When I spec'd them out for my enclosure, it appeared the DPL12 was the better match... Goes to show that different parameters will make a particular design shine better. There is never a single "BEST" for all situations.
                The DPL12 does look much better in your 77L, with a "natural" F3 maybe 20Hz lower, but with eq/power you can give the TC2 whatever FR you like and enjoy the benefits Thomas noted.

Comment

• blownrx7
                  • Dec 2004

TC Sounds not helpful - so far...

Well, I emailed TC Sounds on 7/ 26 and then I called them - twice so far on 7/27 and 7/28. No RESPONSE.
                  Their website even states they will respond to inquiries within 24 hours...

If this is their idea of customer service, maybe I should look elsewhere.
                  Any other suggestions or am I being too impatient???

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• blownrx7
                      • Dec 2004

Thomas W,
                      Thanks, I had already posted my inquiry there as well.

I guess I'm too impatient... ops:
                      I finally got hold of someone in TC tech support and he highly recommended the TC-2000 over the TC-3000.
                      I even pressed him on this and he stood firm on that recommendation!
                      How often does that happen when a company rep. pushes the lower priced item???
                      He said the 2000 was better suited for my 2.7 cuft enclosure while the 3000 was better for ~1 cuft sized enclosures. :T
                      Also 600 watts would be adequate but recommended the DVC in a 2 ohm (really 3) setup since my amp (Aragon Palladium 1K) was stable to that low resistance thus getting 1000 watts out of it :B

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"