Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

so which tmww version is preferable

dennis' or curt's
    ported or sealed.... this thread is a nightmare
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:15 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

Based on what I have read here, I am more of a fan of the Seas metal dome vs the Dayton RS metal dome. The only person with a TMWW Seas version is Dennis. Also, Dennis describes the sealed version as "smoother" (IIRC), and I figure 4 X 8" woofers will provide enough bass in my little room, even if they are sealed.

What you will notice about the above info is that it is based on my personal preferences and situation. You will need to determine your situation, then apply your preferences in order to know what works best for you.

Good luck!
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

both the 6" and 8" have low Qtc enclosures

thus the ported enclosure has worse transient response, but more output in lower regions
      so that may explain his impressions that the bass may be more accentuated in tn the 50-100 hz range

besides, the port is WAY too small for it to behave linearly

i am concerned with standing waves and minimal bracing too...
      Last edited by peterS; 25 July 2006, 20:45 Tuesday.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Neither.

Oh... they're the only ones that have actually remembered to post a TMWW version. And either will be excellent I think.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jonathanb3478
          • May 2006

Originally posted by peterS
          i am concerned with standing waves and minimal bracing too...
          Well, I can understand these concerns with the enclosure design posted. But I am putting them (ultimately) in an elliptical enclosure that is very well braced, so I am not concerned with this. Even the standard "Box" style enclosure I will be putting them in first (recent decision) will be a different design (my own) vs the one posted.
          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• oxcartdriver
            • Apr 2006

I was concerned with the bracing and port too. I changed the bracing to vertically oriented bracing and added additional braces. I kept the same interior volume as the original ported design. Increased the cabinet depth to keep the same volume. I also increased the port length, and used a flared port. Be careful as my cabinets came in at 135lbs complete with x-over and drivers. More bracing may be better, but 135lbs is all I want to move on a hand dolly.

I modified the schematic slightly using lower DCR inductors with very slight adjustments to the other drivers to keep response similar.

I am satisfied with the results. The towers sound very nice, I need to look at my center channel a bit more as the towers sound a better at the moment.

This is what puts the Y in DIY. I never would have attempted the project without the initial design by Dennis Murphy.

Comment

• ibilisi
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
              I was concerned with the bracing and port too. I changed the bracing to vertically oriented bracing and added additional braces.

Have any pics of the type of bracing you implemented? I'm going to build the towers and have the center box nearly built but if i want/need braces now would be the time to add them (top panel not on center yet/not started on towers).

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                • Apr 2006

Port Notes
                rear port hole in MDF was tapered using 3/4 round over bit
                rear port hole in MDF was min possible to allow flush mounting of port to cabinet rear MDF panel
                This prevents putting the entire flared port assembly in from the rear
                inner port flare was installed prior to driver installation
                inner port flare held on with tape to port tube on inside of port (small piece of tape)
                having the tape on the inside and a 4in port allows one to attach/unattach the inner flare without driver removal
                allows port tuning if required
                thought was to keep max mdf on rear panel
                port length re-calculated
                same freq tuning tgt as original design
                slight change in internal cabinet volume accounted for
                Brace Notes
                Brace #1 was glued to the front facia prior to routing the driver holes
                Brace #2 lowest hole was slightly larger to allow space around the port for the inner port flare
                Facia
                2.25in front facia requires long router bit, routed driver holes in 4-5 passes
                rear of front facia was rounded over for mid and woofers using 3/4in round over bit
                Tweet/mid subenclosure
                volume compensated for the extra depth of the facia created by brace #1
                Note #6
                These pieces of MDF go from side panel to side panel
                inner MDF braces on sides of tweet/mid box still used, trapped space between filled with foam.
                Assembly Notes/sequence
                Cabinet was assembled minus one side panel.
                port constructed
                mid/woofer cross overs installed between facia and brace#2 on side wall
                utilizing entire height to maximize inductor spacing
                tweet cross over placed in tweet/mid enclosure on side wall at top corner.
                sizings verified such that port inner flared could be installed/removed through lower RS225 mounting hole
                1 inch foam interanal to tweet/mid enclosure
                1 inch foam on main box base and lower 12 inches of side walls
                1 inch foam used between brace 1 and 2 on all sides
                no foam on braces
                1.5 inch foam on back wall, side walls (above 12in or so) and top of main enclosure
                side panel attached
                Drivers mounted/wired
                binding posts mounted/wired.

Correction to attached photo
                bottom of brace 1 starts at the same point as brace 2,3,4&5.
                to much of a PIA to correct

Click image for larger version

Name:	box_dia.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	845969
                Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:16 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ibilisi
                  • Jan 2005

Thanks for that visual and explanation! Your cabs must be rock solid! I personally was envisioning some combination of vertical and horizontal bracing, however I will now think about this approach.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                    • Apr 2006

Hello

My cabinets are not rock solid. One could do better, but again my speakers came it at 130lbs completed. Not light.

Results based on the qualitative knuckle rap test, YMMV:
                    If I rap on the sides of my TMWW cabinets and it gives a bit.
                    If I rap on a veritcal piece of 0.75in stand alone MDF it gives more.
                    If I rap on the stack (15-20 sheets) of 0.75in MDF at home depot it doesn't give much
                    If I rap on my 3cm granite counters it gives very little.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"