X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lateapex
    • Jul 2006

First DIY Subwoofer builds?

Hi guys, been lurking for a bit and finally registered and heres my first post.

I am putting together my first Surround system. Pretty barebones on a barebones student budget. I decided againts the Home Theater in a Box setups and got:

An Onkyo 503, 2 sets of Polk R15's, a Polk CSi25 center and have a crappy set of old boombox speakers for rears. Not much but enough to get me started (except for a sub). I was very close to just picking up a BIC Acoustech H100 from $300 after shipping and just calling it a day and seeing how I liked it. But being a DIY'er in all my other hobbies (cars & computers) I thought I could probobly get more bang for my buck doing a DIY and a sub seems like it would be the easiest to learn on.

The room is 18' x 11.5' with 8.5' high ceilings and hardwood floors. My listining habits are basically all movies and TV.

I'd like to go with a proven sub design that would keep in in the $300 range to starters. Yes I know, I know I could get a lot more if I bumped up a little, but this is what I got and it's my first project so....

I haven't found too many threads for a complete newb doing a simple sub build.... Though the threads popping up about the Dayton 15" refs have caught my attention....
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lateapex
    I haven't found too many threads for a complete newb doing a simple sub build.... Though the threads popping up about the Dayton 15" refs have caught my attention....
    There are literally dozens of thread on this forum where people built their first sub. I have no idea what you consider a 'simple build'. There's not much to building making a sub.

You're $300 is pretty limiting with regard to the choice of driver and amp. The RS15" or the DVC15" are units to consider

You could make a really nice over built box using a low buck driver to start off. Then replace the driver later if you wanted more output. This can be done with either a ported or sealed design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

My opinion is that you will have a problem finding an amplifier suitable with that budget. For example.
      AMP - $250.00
      MATERIALS - $50.00
      DRIVER - nothing left over

If you spent 50 on materials, 100 on driver, then you would be looking for an amp for 150.00. Unless you go to that auction place, it is slim pickins for a $100 amp. I agree with Thomas that you should build a decent enclosure, put an inexpensive driver in it (with plans on upgrading later) and throw the bulk of your budget at the amp. Just my thoughts.

Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I've been pretty amazed at how many new "First sub" threads pop up every day and its kind of annoying. I mean how many do you need? I've probably seen about 10 in one week before maybe more. Not trying to put down a member or anything, just somthing I was thinking about.

Comment

• Exocer
          • Feb 2006

First build for $300?
          You're limited to this . Looks alright for the price. It would help to know the internal volume of the enclosure and the specs of that driver though..I assume the enclosure is around 2.75ft^3 based on its outer dimensions. You can then move up to a Dayton DVC 15" down the line for an upgrade. I wouldn't suggest the RS 15" in that small of an enclosure though.

Comment

• derekbannatyne
            • Jan 2006

Rythmik Audio 250w Amp: $109
            Dayton 15" RS: $140

That leaves $50 for building materials, if you're not including shipping. The only thing is that it won't be very upgradeable for the future.

Comment

• lateapex
              • Jul 2006

What I was originally thinking is just to be patient and wait for a great deal on something older and used. Which will give me plenty of time do my research, and picking up some propper woodworking tools on the cheap instead of just rushing into things. However, after reading all the threads here I got excited and jumped the gun thinking about all the new goodies the regulars were posting about... but I think I'm better now

Regarding all the "first sub threads", I agree there do seem to be a lot popping up. Sorry for all the clutter. However none of them have detailed noob-proof directions for what I want to try and do. I read through a years worth of threads and they are all spec'd out with higher end equipment than I'm looking at. Most of the threads that go into a lot of detail are for pricier drivers and amps which is right up the alley for 95% of the people posting here... and I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel thats its not even "worth it" if I don't get to that level. Should I just get a BIC Acoustech H100 (the current defacto recommendation for prebuilt sub/amp/box on a $300 budget) and call it a day?

Old Shivas pop up for under 50 once in a while and there is a ton of information on those from a site I have bookmarked, something like that would be ideal... If I have a $200 budget for the amp would that open it up some? If nothing comes up soon then I will just wait longer and save up some more $$$ or possibly "the low priced sub" thread that just popped up would be a contender. One of my main goals is to get some experience building without spending a lot of money for probobly my worst build.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                • Aug 2005

First build for $300?
                You're limited to this
                I wouldn't say his pickings are that slim for a decent sub. What about a ported 15" Quatro with the Rythmic amp Derrick metioned? He should be able to whip that up for $300 or less.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The bulk of the $50 Shiva's were from me, when I sold off 18

You will not find step by step directions for building a box sub. Pat Sun has a website with virtually step by step instructions for those wanting to build a tube sub.

Here's a link to Derek's sub....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

For a noob-proof $300 design, it's hard to beat the Dayton 15" kit that's on sale now for $270 plus shipping.

There are better drivers and amps out there but the kit has all the hard work done and has complete instructions to assemble it -- should only take an hour or so. I think it would be a good match with the rest of your system.

Comment

• maximumshow
                      • Nov 2004

Check out www.creativesound.ca. They have some great deals right now on Shiva or Tempest/sub combos. This combo might fit your budget perfectly.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by maximumshow
                        Check out www.creativesound.ca. They have some great deals right now on Shiva or Tempest/sub combos. This combo might fit your budget perfectly.
                        Since he lives in the States he probably better buying something local.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• maximumshow
                          • Nov 2004

Good point Thomas . I am not 100% sure, but I believe Bob Reimer at CSS might ship to US addresses from the US. Lateapex, try contacting Bob at creativesound, and ask him his shipping method to the US. I know he lives close to the border and crosses quite often.

Comment

• seattle_ice
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by maximumshow
                            Good point Thomas . I am not 100% sure, but I believe Bob Reimer at CSS might ship to US addresses from the US. Lateapex, try contacting Bob at creativesound, and ask him his shipping method to the US. I know he lives close to the border and crosses quite often.
                            From the Creative Website...

'US Address: CSS now has a US address for mail and shipment receiving. Starting in April most US order will also be shipping from this address, eliminating the border from all purchase considerations.

Creative Sound Solutions, #4989
                            115 Garfield Street,
                            Sumas, WA 98295'
                            If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                            How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• lateapex
                              • Jul 2006

... well well well just got an unexpected refund check in the mail... so the budget is bumped up another $150 this month, and will have another $150 check next month .... First thing I'm going to do is pick up some tools from harborfreight or HD...

Whats leftover will go into the sub materials budget. I'll start another thread for tools.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"