X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dCraig
    • Jun 2006

Completed Center Channel with Pictures and a question

I posted this over on AVSForum but I thought you guys might like to see the photos.

Well, I finished my Audax Center Channel and I think it looks great and sounds ok so far. I'm looking for impressions of the sound of this speaker versus the Dayton RS center channels on HTGuide. Some say it has to break in (not sure I buy that) but I guess I am not as impressed with it as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong - it sounds good, just not as good as I had hoped.

I compare it with my Klipsch RC-35 center channel which is smaller and much lighter. The Audax sounds clean but the bottom end has less weight to it than the Klipsch. It is 10 inches tall and 13 inches deep by 2 feet wide. Should be pretty hefty sounding, I think. Anyone else experience any comparisons? I might build the Dayton design and A/B them?

Although, I have to say, it does work well with my PSB stratus gold towers and it looks pretty cool.

Tigerwood sides and white oak dyed black with Transtints. 4 Coats of General finshes satin poly topcoat. Tigerwood is natural color with just a wipeon poly. Probably going to wax it tomorrow.

Originally posted by JimboH
    Correction: For the Audax center channel the polarity should be -+-+.
    I'm pretty sure they are wired correctly but I will check it. Can I do that by just switching the polarity on one driver and listening again? If they are wired incorrectly, then I would expect that might show a difference.

More Pictures.

Last edited by dCraig; 24 July 2006, 18:56 Monday.
  • Brian Walter
    • Sep 2005

That is one fine looking center channel. You should be proud. I can't comment on the sound, as I've never heard any of the Audax HT speakers.

Brian

Comment

• dorsai78664
      • Jul 2006

You did an incredible job on the finish. Very very nicely done. I'm anxious to hear if checking the wiring provides better results. I'm still in the "soaking up info" stage of DIY but had looked at a center channel for my first attempt.

Again, outstanding job.

Comment

• dCraig
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Brian Walter
        That is one fine looking center channel. You should be proud. I can't comment on the sound, as I've never heard any of the Audax HT speakers.

Brian
        Thanks, Brian. Coming from you, that is high praise. I still plan to replicate your curved RS-3 ways one day.

Comment

• dCraig
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by dorsai78664
          You did an incredible job on the finish. Very very nicely done. I'm anxious to hear if checking the wiring provides better results. I'm still in the "soaking up info" stage of DIY but had looked at a center channel for my first attempt.

Again, outstanding job.
          Much appreciated. I am pretty good at woodworking and mathematics but am still figuring out what small things make these speakers sound different.

Comment

• dCraig
            • Jun 2006

Problem solved! I posted this to AVSFORUM earlier.

SCHWEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!
            I figure it out! The drivers were in proper phase but there was too much polyfill stuffing in the box behind the tweeter/midrange enclosure! It was keeping the air from flowing through the box between the woofers. I took out all the stuffing and this sucker ROCKS! Klipsch who???? Now this thing kicks down at the low end and the Klipsch clearly rolls off and sounds chopped off down there by comparison! Finally, the sound is better than the looks of my box! Props to you guys for helping me track this down. Now I can feel better!!!

If the Dayton RS Center Channel sounds better than this I think I will have to give back one of my degrees. No...wait...I was just kidding. If the Dayton CC sounds better than this then I want one of those too!

Oh, yeah. I should add - if you are thinking of building one of these - GO FOR IT! It is nice and for 180 clams you can figure out why this DIY thing is so addictive! I'll sell my Klipsch for about 230 on e-bay and come out ahead!!!!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"