X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

My DCX2496 setup. Is this kosher?

I have a question about active setups like the Orions versus using a DCX2496 the way I do. With my understanding, you take the digital output from a CD player (or analog) and feed that to your pre/pro. You then do a digital to analog conversion and send that analog signal to your active crossover. The analog active crossover then does it's thing and sends that analog signal to your amp. Amp to speaker. Looks like this:

CD Player (D) - Pre/Pro (A) - Active Crossover (A) - Amp (A)

Now, wouldn't using a DCX2496 this way be better? I have my CD player going optical out into my DEQ2496. My DEQ2496 is basically my transport and it sends the signal digitally to my DCX2496. My DCX2496 does it's thing and sends the output to my dual Panasonic XR25 digital amplifiers. Looks like this:

CD Player (D) - DEQ2496 (D) - DCX2496 (A) - Panasonic XR25 (A)

If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't my setup yield a cleaner sound than a traditional active setup? I know mine is the cheap man's way out, but I tell you what, I have those Panasonic's turned up full blast and when I pause the music I hear NOTHING from my speakers. They sound absolutely fantastic! I was thinking of going with a traditional pre/pro to DCX to amp, using the pre/pro's volume control, but unless you guys can convince me otherwise I think I'll stick with what I have. Oh, and did I mention I got both receivers (which Sterophile (blah) tested to deliver 82x5 all channels running) for under $200 shipped? I love these guys!

Thanks!
  • Davey
    • Jan 2003

Your setup is fine.......better than most who use the DCX2496.

Davey.

Comment

• thylantyr
      • Nov 2004

My current rig is;

Media player -> Roland M1000 -> DCX2496 -> amps

I've done many auditions with the digital pathway vs. sabotaging
      the chain to include many extra conversions {DAC/ADC}. I can't
      make any wiring scheme sound bad.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"