X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

EQ Wizard Question

I am using the M-Audio soundcard with ecm-8000. I have the REW loaded. I installed the ecm-calibration files, chose M-Audio as the soundcard, but I am having an issue. Do I still need to calibrate the soundcard to the SPL? I thought using the calibration file for the 8000 would eliminate that step. Also, when using a processor in the setup, is it correct to connect the M-Audio output to the Aux In or Direct SW input? That is how I have it now. Also, I have double Sub outputs on my Processor, which I am using to connect to the BFD. So far no sound. I am trying to troubleshoot.
    Roly
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Which M-Audio card are you using?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Rolyasm
      Do I still need to calibrate the soundcard to the SPL?
      Yes
      I thought using the calibration file for the 8000 would eliminate that step.
      Nope calibrating the soundcard is completely different than the calibration file for the microphone.
      Also, when using a processor in the setup, is it correct to connect the M-Audio output to the Aux In or Direct SW input? That is how I have it now. Also, I have double Sub outputs on my Processor, which I am using to connect to the BFD. So far no sound. I am trying to troubleshoot.Roly

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
        • Dec 2004

M-Audio mobile usb. Phantom power. I also just got my first sound. I just had to turn the volume up on my receiver. I was a little hesitant, just because I don't want to do anything to fry my woofers. :T So now do I use my SPL to make sure the SPL level is reading the same on my REW as it is on my SPL, or is that in the calibration file and I just have to turn it up and get measuring?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

So now do I use my SPL to make sure the SPL level is reading the same on my REW as it is on my SPL, or is that in the calibration file and I just have to turn it up and get measuring?
          Yup, use the SPL meter. The cal file is just referenced to 0 dB and the actual in-room SPL will depend on where you set all your knobs and software controls.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Yes
            Nope calibrating the soundcard is completely different than the calibration file for the microphone.

Are you sure about that diagram? I use a jumper from out-in on one channel as a reference with the other channel used for line out (to amp/speakers) and mic in for measurements.

EDIT: AH. You are describing the connections for SPL calibration. OK

Kal
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

Ah. Guess I need one more cable because I only have one Aux channel on my reciever being used. So my question : after the RS SPL calibration, I connect the ecm-8000 mic to the XLR on the soundcard, put the SPL away, and keep the rest the same? Thanks

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Ah. Guess I need one more cable because I only have one Aux channel on my reciever being used. So my question : after the RS SPL calibration, I connect the ecm-8000 mic to the XLR on the soundcard, put the SPL away, and keep the rest the same? Thanks
                I never connect my RS SPL meter to the system. I run the main mic and the SLM at the same time so that I can match the pink noise levels, thereby 'calibrating' the REW.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

Kal,
                  Is SLM a sound level meter? Same as SPL? If so, are using the XLR mic input and the other input at the same time? What sound card are you using?
                  Roly

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

SLM is sound level meter. SPL is sound pressure level, I believe. I use the M-audio MobilePre. On one channel, I use the XLR input for the mic and the 1/4" output to feed my preamp. On the other channel, I use a loop-back jumper between in and out.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rolyasm
                      • Dec 2004

Interesting. I am pretty sure an SLM is the same as an SPL. Just different lingo. So Kal, on my pictures above and on the HomeTheaterShack forum, there is nothing mentioned about in-out looping the other channel. My left channels are both open. Why are you looping yours?
                      Roly

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I certainly find this topic interesting, I currently use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I am using both Audacity 1.3 Beta (freeware) and Sonar Home Studio 4 software.

Anyone using either of these s/w packages?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Rolyasm
                          • Dec 2004

So far Azeke, I am just trying to figure out the Room EQ Wizard.
                          I am very close to making this all work. I set my processor level so my SPL was reading 0 on an 80 range. I installed the calibration files for M-Audio and ecm-8000, and hooked up my mic. I ran my first sweep and the error I got refered to a low input level of around -64, when it should be greater than -10. I will post the exact message tomorrow when I get home from the night shift. Anyway, I checked my Windows volumes, and they are all up. I turned my M-audio levels up and I turned the gain on my EP2500 amp up, and it helped, but not enough. I got the levels up to around -37. What are the gains supposed to be set to for the soundcard and the amp? Anywhere else I can check for control levels. The message said to check for mutes, volume levels and that sort of thing.
                          Roly

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Interesting. I am pretty sure an SLM is the same as an SPL. Just different lingo.
                            Nope, Just a common misuse.

So Kal, on my pictures above and on the HomeTheaterShack forum, there is nothing mentioned about in-out looping the other channel. My left channels are both open. Why are you looping yours?
                            Roly
                            From the REW instructions: "The left input and left output channels are connected together and provide a local loopback connection, this is used to prevent frequency response variations in the soundcard from affecting the measurements."

Kal
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Rolyasm
                              • Dec 2004

Kal,
                              Looking at the pics above it shows NOT to use the left channels. Is that a picture for a different level of setup? Am I just not to that point yet? Also, I checked HomeTheaterShack's REW pages, and it shows not to use the left channel. Do you have a different setup page? Did you try not using the left channels and test the difference? Thanks
                              roly

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

Don't take this as gospel but, as I recall, early versions of REW required the loopback but later ones don't. You can do a loopback in the initial calibration to get the sound card's response and save it as a file. Then you don't need it when you are measuring. The best place to ask REW questions is over at the author's AVS thread.

Edit: I see John has moved his official support over to:

Room EQ Wizard... for measuring room responses and correcting modal resonances. ■ REW Online Help File

.... and Roly is already quite active there so we can all shut up now.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

Kal,
                                    Looking at the pics above it shows NOT to use the left channels. Is that a picture for a different level of setup? Am I just not to that point yet? Also, I checked HomeTheaterShack's REW pages, and it shows not to use the left channel. Do you have a different setup page? Did you try not using the left channels and test the difference? Thanks
                                    roly
                                    I do not know where that figure came from. My connections are based on the help files that accompanied the software. I did set it up that way about a year ago and I have not changed it.

Kal
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"