EP1500 and RL-p15 dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palmtree
    • Apr 2006

EP1500 and RL-p15 dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm?

Originally posted by ThomasW
    A 4 ohm load is a always a better idea than a 2 ohm load.
    That's what I thought. But I have been told that the dual 2 ohm RL-p15 models a little better than the dual 4 ohm. So which driver is considered the best fit for the EP1500, the dual 2 ohm with voice coils powered seperately to each channel or the dual 4 ohm with same setup. Obviously the EP1500 puts out much more power at 2 ohms but if it can't keep up then that doesn't matter. Here is what I get in Win-isd. Is that much of a difference in the "real world"?
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The VC's of the dual 2 ohm driver should be wired in series to create a single 4 ohm load. Strap the amp into mono and hold on ....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• palmtree
      • Apr 2006

The VC's of the dual 2 ohm driver should be wired in series to create a single 4 ohm load. Strap the amp into mono and hold on ....:wink:
      I was under the impression that a 4 ohm bridged-mono load stresses the amp the same as a stereo 2 ohm load. But I am no expert at this stuff--actually, I may not even be to the "novice" level yet. :B

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Lots of people are running these amps strapped it's no big deal since it will barely be off idle powering a ported sub.

You can certainly buy the dual 4 ohm unit and run one VC to each channel.

The computer models will look a bit different; but in the real world, any performance difference between the 2-2 ohm and the 2-4 ohm drivers will be minimal.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• palmtree
          • Apr 2006

Thanks ThomasW! I really appreciate the quick help.
          Brett

Comment

• Brian Walter
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by palmtree
            I was under the impression that a 4 ohm bridged-mono load stresses the amp the same as a stereo 2 ohm load. But I am no expert at this stuff--actually, I may not even be to the "novice" level yet. :B
            My understanding is the same as yours, so which version of the speaker is best for your situation really boils down to whether or not the amplifier is single channel or stereo, whether or not it can drive a 2 ohm load and how much power the amp can put out relative to what the speaker can handle. If the amp can handle the load, you can dump more power into the speakers with the 2 ohm VC version. But this may not be important if you've already got more power than the speakers can handle or than you need. But Thomas is right, if the 4 ohm load meets your power requirements it will be a better choice as it allows the amplifier to run cooler and last longer.

For example, if the amp can deliver 2 x 400 watts into 4 ohms and 2 x 700 into 2 ohms or 1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms, the most you can get into the dual 4 ohm speaker would be 800 watts, where as with the dual 2 ohm speaker you could get 1400 watts. This is assuming that the amp is not rated for bridged into 2 ohms.

I should end this by stating that this is my understanding of how all this works and there is always room for error.

Brian Walter

Comment

• Jerm357
              • Apr 2006

So your saying its better to bridge the EP1500 and wire the D2 in series than wire each channel to each VC? Why would it be better? Will you realy hear a difference doing it the bridge way? How would I know if the amp could not handle the 2 ohm load? Wont the amp blow the built in fuse and shut off or does it do something else if it cant handle it? I cant say I have ever had a problem running a 2ohm load unless its doing something Im not noticing.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

For example, if the amp can deliver 2 x 400 watts into 4 ohms and 2 x 700 into 2 ohms or 1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms, the most you can get into the dual 4 ohm speaker would be 800 watts, where as with the dual 2 ohm speaker you could get 1400 watts.
                That's all true but it's not quite that simple. Speakers aren't simple resistive loads. Here's the impedance curve of a nominal 8-ohm sub and, as you can see, the impedance varies between 6 and 46 ohms. Modelling it as a simple 8-ohm load will give you incorrect information about amp capabilities and requirements. Software is your friend.

Attached Files

Comment

• Brian Walter
                  • Sep 2005

You are correct that it is not quite that simple, but I would expect the relationship between the two drivers to be similar to that of my example. Assuming the curve you have shown is for the RL-p15 dual 4 ohm voice coil, it would be interesting to see the curve of the dual 2 ohm voice coil driver plotted on the same graph. I suspect you would see the dual 2 ohm curve about 1/2 of the dual 4 ohm curve. If so, my assumption of close to double the power would be pretty close through out the frequency response.

Brian Walter

Comment

• palmtree
                    • Apr 2006

OK--so now you guys have me worried again. I already told Mike at Sound Splinter that I want the D2 but I bet I could still changed the order if necessary.

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                      • Aug 2000

Get the D2, wire in series as Thomas suggests and enjoy. You'll be fine.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                        • Sep 2005

It sounds like your amp can handle the 2 ohm load, so I agree with Thomas and Kyle, go with the dual 2 ohm driver and wire the voice coils in series and drive it with the amp in bridge mode.

How long does it take to get one of the D2's? I've been seriously thinking of getting one myself.

Brian Walter

Comment

• palmtree
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Brian Walter
                          It sounds like your amp can handle the 2 ohm load, so I agree with Thomas and Kyle, go with the dual 2 ohm driver and wire the voice coils in series and drive it with the amp in bridge mode.

How long does it take to get one of the D2's? I've been seriously thinking of getting one myself.

Brian Walter
                          Mike at SS sent me any email this morning that said it was in stock and would ship within 24 hours of payment. So get em while you can.

Comment

• Jerm357
                            • Apr 2006

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by ThomasW
                            The VC's of the dual 2 ohm driver should be wired in series to create a single 4 ohm load. Strap the amp into mono and hold on ....

So your saying its better to bridge the EP1500 and wire the D2 in series than wire each channel to each VC? Why would it be better? Will you realy hear a difference doing it the bridge way? How would I know if the amp could not handle the 2 ohm load? Wont the amp blow the built in fuse and shut off or does it do something else if it cant handle it? I cant say I have ever had a problem running a 2ohm load unless its doing something Im not noticing.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jerm357
                              Quote:
                              So your saying its better to bridge the EP1500 and wire the D2 in series than wire each channel to each VC? Why would it be better?
                              No, not quite. I think what we were really saying is that you would be better off with the dual 2 ohm VC version compared to the dual 4 ohm. But driving the channels separately vs bridge mode makes no difference. As mentioned previously, the load the amp sees when driving a 4 ohm speaker in bridge mode is the same as driving two separate 2 ohm loads. This may not be 100% true, but from a practical standpoint it is.

Brian Walter

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

I think there are several people running the D2 with an EP1500. I haven't seen any bad reports. I wouldn't worry about it.

I personnaly run two D2s on an EP2500. Both drivers are wired in series and hooked up to seperate channels. So, I guess this is actually less power to each driver than an EP1500 in mono would be to a single. And, I've haven't had a problem.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jerm357
                                  • Apr 2006

Ive also have been running my D2 with an ep1500 in 2 ohm mode with no problem at all (I only run it at 50% gain on both channel tho). But how would one tell *if* there was a problem running a 2ohm load would the amp just shut off?

Comment

• palmtree
                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                                    I think there are several people running the D2 with an EP1500. I haven't seen any bad reports. I wouldn't worry about it.

I personnaly run two D2s on an EP2500. Both drivers are wired in series and hooked up to seperate channels. So, I guess this is actually less power to each driver than an EP1500 in mono would be to a single. And, I've haven't had a problem.
                                    So if I understand your setup correctly--you are running your amp in 4 Ohm stereo mode. I think that 4 Ohm stereo is how these amps were made to run. But they certainly should be able to handle a 2 Ohm load in my opinion because they sure like to scream about the power output at 2 ohms. If you ask me 2 Ohm ratings shouldn't even be mentioned by the manufacturers if the amp can't handle it. It's kinda like false advertising.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2002

The QSCs and their Behringer clones have extensive protection circuits. The amp won't blow up or blow a fuse or anything nasty like that. It will simply shut down for a while if it gets too hot or draws too much current or whatever. Highly unlikely to ever happen in a home environment; these things are meant to power rock concerts.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

About the "false adverstising" QSC makes it quite clear in their manuals that the amps can't run at full power at 2 ohms for extended periods of time without tripping the thermal protection circuits. But that's no big; as they show in the specs, an amp running at 1/8th continuous power on music material will be clipping occasionally and there's no reason we would want to push an amp any harder than that. Who wants to listen to clipped music?

Comment

• palmtree
                                          • Apr 2006

That's cool. I'm sure it will be plenty tough for my humble HT.

Comment

• Bent
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2003

Who wants to listen to clipped music?
                                            I thought that's what mp3's were. :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"