X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trc
    • Jul 2006

Sonotube durability

My brother-in-law and I are planning a sub for him using the Dayton RS HF 15" driver and a BASH amp. He wants it ported, which means a cabinet volume somewhere in the 10.5-11.0 cu. ft. range. That would be a very heavy box in MDF, especially since I would use at least two layers of 3/4" board. I've shown him the sonotube designs, and I like them myself, but his main concern with them is how well the cardboard will hold up over time. Does anyone have experience with either their durability or lack of it?

Here are a couple of questions that come to mind in this area:
    * How difficult is it to move these subs without denting the sides?
    * How strong are the sides against things that kids might throw at them?

Thanks.
    trc
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes an impact can 'bruise' the sides of the tube. It's strength is dealing with pressure from the inside not an impact from the outside. They're certainly not fragile per say but care should be exercised.

Covering it with a layer of carpet offers a nice layer of protection.

However a barrier consisting of barbed wire or better yet concertina wire is the most effective deterrent for pets and small children....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• noah katz
      • Dec 2005

"since I would use at least two layers of 3/4" board"

Way overkill. I built my sub, 2' x 2' x 5' with a single layer of cross-braced (no H-braces) 3/4" ply and it's very "quiet". The long sides have 4 X-braces each, the ends one in the middle.

But I'm all for Sonotube, there's no other way to get that weight/structural efficiency.
      ------------------------------
      Noah

Comment

• trc
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by noah katz
        the ends one in the middle.
        Are you saying that you used an X-shaped brace that went from one end to the other? Wouldn't that interfere with the crossing X braces?

You used plywood, but my brother-in-law wants to use MDF for a smoother finish without paying the money for a veneered ply. Will the MDF really be stiff enough with just the one layer? I suppose it depends on how much bracing there is.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

MDF is quite flexible compared to ply...if you want to use single layer MDF, plan on double the number of braces used for ply

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• trc
            • Jul 2006

OK, that's kind of what I was expecting. Just wanted confirmation. Thanks.

Comment

• slayer
              • Dec 2005

There is no such thing as "overkill" in the DIY realm.
              Parasound Halo C2
              Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
              Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
              Oppo BDP103
              Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
              Xbox One
              Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
              Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
              BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
              Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
              Energy Veritas 2.0i center
              CAT Tiburon series side surround
              Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
              Velodyne SMS-1
              Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

A geometric property of the circle is that it encloses the most area with the least perimeter of any 2-D shape. Therefore deforming a circle in any manner decreases its area. Since a subwoofer operates generally by pressurizing the interior, no amount of pressure will deform the circular shape, as that would only further increase the pressure. So unless your sub is so powerfull that it will literally rip the sonotube apart, the additional layer might damp resonance but will not strengthen it.

Now if you went with some 1/2" wall PVC sewer pipe . . .

BB

Comment

• noah katz
                  • Dec 2005

"the ends one in the middle."

Sorry, s/b "the ends, one in the middle", which is still klutzy.

Any, they're all X-braces to opposite panels.

Hi Brandon,

"no amount of pressure will deform the circular shape"

That's not technically true, but for our purposes can be considered so.

All structures deform under load, it's just a question of how much and what the shape of the deformation is.

As the woofer pressurizes and rarifies the air in the box, the forces are resolved into forces into circumferential and axial forces, and the diameter of the Sonotube increases and decreases, as well as the height, albeit very slightly.

Nitpicky, but I didn't want anyone to generalize to a mistaken idea, like I used to.
                  ------------------------------
                  Noah

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Make that positive internal pressure, and it's true, barring the tube actually ripping or stretching.

BB

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"