X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerm357
    • Apr 2006

Series resistance for a RL-P 15 D2? And check the parameters

In Winisd what should I put as the Series resistance for a RL-P15 d2 wired with each channel of an EP1500 to each 2 ohm VC? And do thses these parameters look right?.......I entered them in the order as the help file says to auto calculate the unknown and this is what it came up with.

qts-0.334
    vas-146.16 l
    fs-23.43 hz
    re-3.660 ohm
    le-0.00 mh
    xmax-24.6 mm
    Z-6.000 ohm
    qms-4.032
    qes-0.364
    spl-89.17 db
    pe-0.0w
    bl-20.76000 tm
    Dd-12.61 in
    sd-o.0806 m^2
    Last edited by Jerm357; 19 July 2006, 18:49 Wednesday.
  • palmtree
    • Apr 2006

I am cosidering the same sub/amp combo. But I was wondering if the EP1500 can handle 2ohm stereo or 4ohm bridged operation. I may need to order the RLp-15 d4 if the amp can't handle the low impedence. Does anyone know about the EP1500?

Comment

• seattle_ice
      • Jun 2006

The EP1500 is rated for 700wpc x 2 @ 2ohm or (Bridged)1400wpc x 1 @ 4 ohm.
      If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
      How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• soho54
        • Dec 2005

EDIT: palmtree - My bad I was thinking two drivers. You should be good.

Comment

• Jerm357
          • Apr 2006

I use a ep1500 with each channel to a VC (1400w total) and it works great. Just be carful with the amp gain Mike at Soundsplinter said this to me....

"Since you have a D2 driver, you will have to wire each channel from the Behringer into each seperate voicecoil on the D2.? This will show the driver maximum power of 1400 watts (700 watts per voicecoil).? This amount of power is unecessary and can be dangerous if you aren't a responsible listener.. so my advice is to keep your gain set conservatively until you find a good level for it (using the EP2500 myself, I'd estimate that on the EP1500 with your wiring configuration, you'd probably want to have each channel's gain set about 50 or 60% - but you'll figure it out, just start with it low 'til you get a feel for it)."

Hope this helps.

Comment

• palmtree
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by seattle_ice
            The EP1500 is rated for 700wpc x 2 @ 2ohm or (Bridged)1400wpc x 1 @ 4 ohm.
            I know it is rated at that but can it stand up to that load in the real world. I already have the amp and it's great--but mine has never seen that kind of load. I was wondering if anyone has tried this combo with success.

Comment

• palmtree
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jerm357
              I use a ep1500 with each channel to a VC (1400w total) and it works great. Just be carful with the amp gain Mike at Soundsplinter said this to me....

"Since you have a D2 driver, you will have to wire each channel from the Behringer into each seperate voicecoil on the D2.? This will show the driver maximum power of 1400 watts (700 watts per voicecoil).? This amount of power is unecessary and can be dangerous if you aren't a responsible listener.. so my advice is to keep your gain set conservatively until you find a good level for it (using the EP2500 myself, I'd estimate that on the EP1500 with your wiring configuration, you'd probably want to have each channel's gain set about 50 or 60% - but you'll figure it out, just start with it low 'til you get a feel for it)."

Hope this helps.
              Thanks Jerm357 that is exactly the info I was looking for. I guess we were typing at the same time. Wow! this place is great.

Comment

• Jerm357
                • Apr 2006

What about my question? Anybody know?

Comment

• palmtree
                  • Apr 2006

Sorry for hijacking. I don't know the answer to your question since I only fill in what I know and let it calculate the rest and whetever is left--I leave blank. I plan to build a ported 260L box with a 6 inch port that is 27 inches long. Tuned to 16 Hz. What are your plans?

Comment

• Jerm357
                    • Apr 2006

My plan is a 280l with an 8" port that is 42.30" for a 17hz tune. Right now I have it in a 4cf sealed box.

Comment

• Jerm357
                      • Apr 2006

Should I just put the series resistance as 2 ohm? Its default is 0.100ohm

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Jerm, I'm not sure what you're asking. Is it:

A: The DC resistance of the voice coils? That's the T/S parameter Re. You have it listed in your specs as 3.66 mH but I think that should be 3.66 ohms.

or

B. The DC resistance you fill in under the Signal tab when you're designing a box? That's the resistance of your speaker wires and any external resistor you use in the circuit (not very common). 0.1 ohm is a decent number if your wires are pretty fat.

PS: your T/S parameters won't be strictly accurate if you wire a coil to each channel of the amp because the published specs are for the coils in series but you will be effectively running them in parallel. But it doesn't matter. All you need to design a box are Fs, Qts and Vas and none of them will change. Just take all the power-related calcs with a grain of salt and be assured that you will have plenty of power.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Those with just one driver, why not wire the VCs in parallel for a 4ohm load and then run the amp in Bridge Mono mode. I beleive that a 4 ohm load is easier on the amp.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ---k---
                            Those with just one driver, why not wire the VCs in parallel for a 4ohm load and then run the amp in Bridge Mono mode. I beleive that a 4 ohm load is easier on the amp.
                            I think that would be VCs in series to get 4 ohms. Strain on the amp is the same either way. When you bridge the amp, the impedance it "doesn't like" doubles.

Comment

• Jerm357
                              • Apr 2006

Im talking about in the Signal section of Winisd pro of my box design. Under the Signal section the Signal sorurce has 2 things the system input power and the series resistance. The default was 1.0w for the input power and 0.100 for the series resistance. So Im using 14ga wires both from the amp and in the sub so I should just leave it at .1? And yes you were right about the Re I had it listed wrong the mh was for the Le.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                I think that would be VCs in series to get 4 ohms. Strain on the amp is the same either way. When you bridge the amp, the impedance it "doesn't like" doubles.
                                Thanks for the correction Dennis. I wasn't aware of this.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jerm357
                                  • Apr 2006

Which set of parameters should I use?

Set A is used in the order as the help file says to auto calculate the unknown.
                                  Set B is just the parameters Soundsplinter has posted with out the auto calculate the unknown. So some were left empty.

Set A
                                  qts-0.334
                                  vas-146.16 l
                                  fs-23.43 hz
                                  re-3.660 ohm
                                  le-0.00 mh
                                  xmax-24.6 mm
                                  Z-6.000 ohm
                                  qms-4.032
                                  qes-0.364
                                  spl-89.17 db
                                  pe-0.0w
                                  bl-20.76000 tm
                                  Dd-12.61 in
                                  sd-o.0806 m^2

Set B
                                  qts-0.333
                                  vas-163.00 l
                                  fs-23.43 hz
                                  re-3.660 ohm
                                  le-0.00 mh
                                  xmax-24.6 mm
                                  Z-0.000 ohm
                                  qms-4.032
                                  qes-0.363
                                  spl-89.43 dB
                                  pe-0.0 w
                                  bl-20.76000 tm
                                  Dd-0.00 in
                                  sd-0.0806 m^2
                                  Now set B is more accurate with Soundsplinter but more is missing. Will this hurt the results if im just trying to design a box?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

I use the parameters from the SS website and let Unibox fill in the rest. WinISD Pro seems fairly accurate, regular WinISD is iffy....

The numbers calculated by Unibox correspond closely to the numbers I get from LspCAD, so I trust Unibox...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"