X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmoeller
    • May 2006

High Pass Filter for Cone Excursion

Is it ok to use a low order high pass filter to controll cone excursion of a vented driver, below the tuned vent frequency?
  • JohnL
    • Dec 2004

I've seen car audio guys do it on subs (not that that has anything to do with high fidelity audio reproduction).

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

HT-Guide member, Chas98 was working on one. If he doesn't reply to this thread send him a PM or email

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Some guy named Neville Thiele suggested doing just that back in the late 70s/early 80s. I'd take that as a yes.

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I'm here. And I built an 18 db (I think) per octave active filter at 17 Hz for use with my sub in the beginning. I found it is not nessecary to use one with a driver that is built for the sub enclosure and amplifier properly sized for ordinary use. What enclosure size, driver brand and model number, and amplifier are you going to be using? How many watts at what impedance? Let me know. I can give you some tips on building them and some links to circuits.

Chuck

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

It's almost a given on vented subwoofers, but how about full-range designs?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
              It's almost a given on vented subwoofers, but how about full-range designs?
              If the design is vented and being used without a sub, I think it's a good idea.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mmoeller
                • May 2006

I was kind of open ended with my question. I was looking at a 3 way set up with 2 or 3 small mid-woofers vented for some bass extension. The drivers quickly went out of control with only a +/- 5.5mm Xmax.

Peerless Nomex 6.5"

With a 3 driver set up in a 85L box, tuned to about 40Hz I get pretty decent extension. I added a 2nd order Butterworth at 20Hz to control excursion. I have attached a picture of the WinISD plots for refernece. These excursions were using 100W.

I'm aware that the 3 driver set up will most likely not be practical due to the nominal 8 ohm impedance.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"