X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dorsai78664
    • Jul 2006

Suggestions for DIY center channel?

I have been lurking here and in the AVS Forum DIY section for a while and I decided on a center channel as my first foray into DIY speaker building. I currently use a Cerwin Vega E-D6C center channel and although I am happy with it, I'd jump at the chance to improve on it. The CV is a MTM speaker but I'd love to build a WMTW -- but not sure my space will allow. Whatever I build will be going on a shelf with 8" of headroom.

Can any of you make some suggestions on DIY kits?

I am considering using a Dayton cabinet from Parts Express. Of course, if I go with this cabinet, I think an MTM will be my final product. Any suggestions on a speaker that uses this cabinet?

Thank you.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Look up in the Missions Accomplished section

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dorsai78664
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for the quick reply Thomas.

Yeah, I've been digging through those threads for a couple of weeks but didn't quite see what I needed. What I had hoped to find were some links to kits or plans that might fit my needs. I am still going through the thread with kgveteran's center channel and it looks awesome but unfortunately, it is a bit too large for the space I have. Kgveteran had originally pointed me to a thread on Audax as that was my original plan but after reading the thread, I decided to look for another project but I have found it difficult to find center channel projects. But I'll keep looking...

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

At some point Jon's going to design a 3-way version of the NatP as a center using the new RS dome mid. I have no idea when that's doing to happen, we've only been talking about it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dawaro
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          At some point Jon's going to design a 3-way version of the NatP as a center using the new RS dome mid. I have no idea when that's doing to happen, we've only been talking about it.
          Boy if he ever gets some time off to do this I think that will be a popular project. I have three people right now that would love to do a WMTW but do not have the space for the larger one.
          I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

The RS50 flange is only 3/16" smaller than the RS150, so you aren't going to save much height.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dorsai78664
              I have been lurking here and in the AVS Forum DIY section for a while and I decided on a center channel as my first foray into DIY speaker building. I currently use a Cerwin Vega E-D6C center channel and although I am happy with it, I'd jump at the chance to improve on it. The CV is a MTM speaker but I'd love to build a WMTW -- but not sure my space will allow. Whatever I build will be going on a shelf with 8" of headroom.

Can any of you make some suggestions on DIY kits?

I am considering using a Dayton cabinet from Parts Express. Of course, if I go with this cabinet, I think an MTM will be my final product. Any suggestions on a speaker that uses this cabinet?

Thank you.

This one might work for you.

Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BobEllis
                The RS50 flange is only 3/16" smaller than the RS150, so you aren't going to save much height.
                With a horizontal WTMW center channel, we have 9" of width to play with, that should be just enough for the RS50 and a tweeter. We might not be able to use the RS28 but we should be able to find something...

We've never been timid about trimming the flanges of the drivers if need be. Or there's the option of the rebasing one flange completely and overlaying the other if that's what it takes.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

We've never been timid about trimming the flanges of the drivers if need be. Or there's the option of the rebasing one flange completely and overlaying the other if that's what it takes.
                  Yeah but you can do all that stuff with an RS150 or an RS125 or an RS90. I just don't see the point of a dome mid if it doesn't have a small frame. Big frame, can't play low, what's the point?

Comment

• yousuredo2
                    • Jun 2006

I would love to see this Project come to pass!
                    I am going to be building the NatP's for fronts, and this sounds Like the perfect fit for a center...

WOW, I Love this site !
                    Keep up the good work, and keep 'em projects coming
                    chris
                    My System
                    ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                    ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                    ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                    ~ Sony PS.3
                    ~ Xbox 360
                    ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                    ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                    ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                    ~ Behringer ep2500
                    ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• jdybnis
                      • Dec 2004

The RS52 seems to have significantly lower distortion across it's usable frequency band than the larger models. I don't think the RS90 is sensitive enough to use in a 3-way unless you are willing to pad down the woofer.
                      -Josh

Comment

• Brian Walter
                        • Sep 2005

If all you want to do is build the box, I know of one comercial kit that utilizes the Seas 22 mm dome tweet, the Morel MDM55 and a pair of RS180's, it fits in a fairly small box, but the tweeter is not shielded and the Morel gives off just a little too much stray magnetic field to sit right on top of most TV's. But if shielding isn't an issue, it certainly is a nice size and looks really kool as well.

Brian Walter

Comment

• dawaro
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Brian Walter
                          If all you want to do is build the box, I know of one comercial kit that utilizes the Seas 22 mm dome tweet, the Morel MDM55 and a pair of RS180's, it fits in a fairly small box, but the tweeter is not shielded and the Morel gives off just a little too much stray magnetic field to sit right on top of most TV's. But if shielding isn't an issue, it certainly is a nice size and looks really kool as well.

Brian Walter
                          Would that be Rick Craig's new kit?
                          I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Brian Walter
                            • Sep 2005

Yes it is. I've almost ordered it on a couple of occasions, but the non-shielded issue keeps me from doing it. My wife has already said no to the new TV idea, so I guess that's out.

Brian

Comment

• dorsai78664
                              • Jul 2006

Couldn't come back to this thread for a day and now it seems I have lots of great comments.

I had just about decided that I couldn't get a WMTW center that would fit my current setup. This morning, I was even thinking about going back to an off center speaker (sits on the component rack next to TV) or get a stand (sits in front of the current TV stand) or replace my existing TV stand with something that will allow a speaker 11" high to fit in.

Shielding may not be a problem for me right now so that unshielded speaker is definitely an option. Actually, I should ask...generally, what is the minimum distance you would want between an unshielded speaker and your TV?

I understand that a WMTW speaker will have a much wider range than a MTM speaker but what specific things would make a WMTW perferable over an MTM? Are there any situations where an MTM is preferable?

Brian, thanks for the tip on that kit. I'll take a look at it. Jim, thanks for the link. I'll go through that thread also.

Comment

• technimac
                                • Feb 2005

Another possibility is the Audax HT WMTW center. All the drivers are shielded. I am currently using one and am very happy with its performance. Crystal-clear dialogue and very smooth response. I reduced the height to 9.5" (maintained volume by making it a bit deeper) and used the TMO25F7 titanium version of the tweeter.

You can see Wayne J's version of the Audax HT system here:

I'm currently building four Modula MT's and like others here am waiting for a RS180-based WMTW as a matching center for them.
                                Not that I don't like the Audax system, but the MTM fronts are just a little bit too tall for the open-area where our HT is located.
                                "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

The Audax stuff isn't in the same league...

The RS52 offers much greater bandwidth in a midrange (without hitting bad breakup nodes) when compared to the RS150 or even RS125 along with greater SPL. So, there's a lot going for it. Other options might be some of the 4" Peerless mid-woofers which are very good, but lower SPL and higher cost make me shy away from them.

I am giving it very serious thought with a small neo tweeter, which should allow an 8" cabinet if paired with the RS180 (though 8.5 would be better). My HT needs some help and it's becoming more clear every time we watch a movie and have to struggle with some dialogue. (i.e. I have to wait for my wife to ask me to fix it... )

C
                                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Dome mid = no sub-enclosure.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dorsai78664
                                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                      I am giving it very serious thought with a small neo tweeter, which should allow an 8" cabinet if paired with the RS180 (though 8.5 would be better).
                                      I would be very interested in seeing a design for that. I ordered 2 books today from Madisound and will most likely wait to start anything until they arrive. I ordered the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason and "Speaker Building 201" by Ray Alden. There is much about speaker building and design that is tough to get from some of the Mission Accomplished type of threads but I'm hoping to fill in the gaps. Not sure if I will get to the point where I'm comfortable designing an 8" tall WMTW but it will give me a better idea of what is possible.

Comment

• dorsai78664
                                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by technimac
                                        I'm currently building four Modula MT's and like others here am waiting for a RS180-based WMTW as a matching center for them..
                                        What is the footprint on that center channel? I suppose my next question should be, if I use a WMTW center in an off-axis (horizontal) position, what are the pitfalls? My component rack is right next to my TV and for a long time, my Cerwin Vega MTM sat on it. I couldn't really tell that my soundfield was off center but I have to admit, I was happier after replacing the TV and being able to set it in a shelf on my new TV stand. I have space for a larger center channel but it would have to go back on the stereo component rack. What would I hear if something like your speaker was placed directly next to the TV?

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

If you're placing a speaker next to the TV you're better off with a vertical TM or MTM.

I built one of my MTM's for my sister, and she used it in that manner for quite a while - may be that way still, haven't seen her new house so I don't know.

C
                                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"