Doesn't the high price of crappy Ipod "table systems" get anyone mad enough ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marc g
    • May 2006

Doesn't the high price of crappy Ipod "table systems" get anyone mad enough ?

What could you do for $200 ? :twisted:
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Just buy a good set of computer speakers, and plug your ipod into those... probably sound better and cheaper to boot.

Comment

• Vinny
      • Mar 2006

Yea I agree with Kevin here. For the price of $200, go for Klipsch iFi. Sometimes the internet have good deals for less than $200 every once in a while. It's hard to beat for it's components for the price(RSX speakers with its own sub).
      Pioneer KRP-500M
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Parasound 5125
      Oppo BDP-83
      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Yes, but only because I applied for a job at Apple making those and didn't get it.

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

I've thought about what could be done with my Sonic T-Amp, concerning a decent ipod-boombox of sorts.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Vinny
            Yea I agree with Kevin here. For the price of $200, go for Klipsch iFi. Sometimes the internet have good deals for less than $200 every once in a while. It's hard to beat for it's components for the price(RSX speakers with its own sub).
            ++

Got one of these for my wife for $300+ online. Thought it was well worth it (comes with an RF remote!).

Then she was in Costco last month and they had it there for $150 with coupon. So now I have one too, on my computer, and don't even have an iPod (yet). Check out Costco, they have the iFi for $200 normally, with easy return if you don't like them for some reason.

These are way better than most computer speakers. The sub is a solid little unit, and the speakers are great, great looking, AND have really nice mounts/stands.

BB

Comment

• knifeinthesink
              • Jan 2006

and a gainclone.

Got to love those $10 drivers!

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                • Jan 2006

or one of these for amplification. Cheap enough, thats for sure!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                  • Aug 2001

I've thought about what could be done with my Sonic T-Amp, concerning a decent ipod-boombox of sorts.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

t-amp, not gainclone, if budget is your goal.

GC costs too much in the power supply unless you get lucky on a surplus transformer.

I would love to use one of their 3-channel chips for something like this (Nat'l Semi that is). End price would end up being ~$200 however.

C
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                      • Jan 2006

Yes, quite right.

There are a few designs around for battery power supplies for GCs. Not sure what the effect on cost is with those designs.

Im one of the lucky ones with $9 transformers at local surplus shop so I often forget that GCs aren't normally so cheap. 2 channel GC costs me about $50. Mind you, I dont know if I want to build any more without a PC board, so theres another $50 or so.

I think Im going to try one of the Sonic t amps. Love the price and the headache of trying to troubleshoot my thouroughly amateurish assembly skills is becoming a big disincentive.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. When I need portability and audio for both the MacBook and iPod, I went with these, because for my typical traveling music, they're really tough to beat between 80 Hz and 15 kHz, and they're small and completely powered from USB bus. Check reviews on PC Mag and Laptop magazine.

$99 list, they come with a nice carrying case similar to Bose sound cancelling headphones, powered and signal delivery via USB (no AC adpater), and street price about $76.

Aux jack for external sources, like an iPod. Can be also be powered from any USB hub, or from an iPod USB AC supply.

They sound great with the stuff I like to relax with on the road, like Acoustic Alchemy, Jacque Loussier, Emily Remmler, KT Tunstall, Jonatha Brooke (very neutral midrange means excellent vocal quality, and surprisingly good imaging).
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• marc g
                          • May 2006

Anyone heard the Cambridge Soundworks Model Twelve ?

I currently use an old set of CS cubes

that now sell for $75. (I got when they were about $250) eek! They really don't sound too bad but are terrible even slighty off-axis.

Comment

• Dan B
                            • Feb 2005

Chads Olives

The Olives
                            Last edited by Dan B; 20 July 2006, 22:54 Thursday. Reason: add title
                            Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

Those are great! And I don't even like martinis.

BB

Comment

• cgr
                                • Feb 2006

that now sell for $75. (I got when they were about $250) eek! They really don't sound too bad but are terrible even slighty off-axis.[/QUOTE]

I think that I paid what you paid when they first came out! I used to cart mine up to Maine every weekend to our ski house. I hooked it up to my Sony Discman - I don't even want to remember that cost initially!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"