X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borderdad
    • Nov 2005

Dayton Reference 15" Subs

Heven't heard much about the "new" Dayton 15" Subs. Are they crap or are people still crunching the numbers? Seems like they'd make nice Sonotube's or HT subs like the Sound Splinter stuff, but cheaper.
    Hola from El Paso!
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

The 12's klippeled very well, I'm sure the 15's are just as good.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
      • Nov 2004

I made some in Unibox and they model perfectly for me. The only thing that (kinda) sucks is that they can't take much power mechanically. I threw four in a 1200 liter box tuned to 15-16hz with 200w going into each. I'd love to build them and I might do it....but Im playing with the new TC-Sounds woofers now.
      My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• borderdad
        • Nov 2005

Cool, thanks for the info. Just seemed odd because of all the ado made of the rest of the RS series. I figured the intro of 15's would cause more of an uproar, or at least a few project posts. Maybe I can be the first in the sub section. :T
        Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

I'm tentatively planning a subwoofer using 4 of the RS15's. It will be 2 enclosures, each 180L sealed. Both drivers will be placed on a single side of each enclosure. Then the drivers from each enclosure will face one another, with a common top and bottom connecting them. I'll be adding legs to this to form a credenza type of table.

Comment

• borderdad
            • Nov 2005

That should move some air. Are you gonna put A/V stuff on it? (if so) Do you think the vibrations will be a problem? Do you think the common top and bottom will give it a push/pull making it more stable? I'm gonna build one into an end table and another across the room pretty much in a standard cube.
            Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• WillyD
              • Feb 2006

I've been looking ever since they came out, but haven't found many experiences with them. Dunno why, they definitely seem like a good value.

Just like Scott, though, I am looking at TC Sounds' lineup now.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                • Aug 2001

I think the 15 HiFi looks fantastic sealed in ~4ft^3. Low distortion, low Le, nice set of features if you don't need really high excursion.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                  • Aug 2005

I'm more looking forward to seeing these used in a speaker design than a subwoofer.

Comment

• Bent
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2003

I'm still quite infatuated with a large side firing driver on a narrow tower with something like the modula mt sitting on top... either in a set of matched cabs, or all-in-one.

Comment

• seattle_ice
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bent
                      I'm still quite infatuated with a large side firing driver on a narrow tower with something like the modula mt sitting on top... either in a set of matched cabs, or all-in-one.
                      I've always liked that look, regardless of the particular acoustic quality/properties.
                      If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                      How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                        • Nov 2004

Same here. Just can't get them to blend well, sometimes.
                        My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

What crossover frequencies are you using Scott? I'm interested in designing side-firing 3-ways at some point in the future.

OH! And here are the Klippel results for the RS12HF and the Peerless 12" XXLS for comparison if anyone was wondering:

I was tempted to use the Dayton 10" HF for my current sub project, but the better results for the Peerless and the availability of PR's pushed me in that direction. But if PR's were available and cost were an issue I would have had no problem using the RS series. My impression was that the motors are very similar if not identical across the RS lineup.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                            • Aug 2001

Damn, the RS subs look even better than I thought from that Klippel write-up. Aside from needing more displacement for an application, I'm not sure why I'd pay more for a sub.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"