X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Ls & Lp question

How do I model a driver using these parameters? I'm trying to predict the response of a TC-2000 15". Thanks,

Mark
  • DennisP
    • Jun 2006

I wasn't clear on that either, good question!! :P

I know that SteveC modeled the enclosure for the 2xTC-2000 sub design I ended up with...on my own cross-check of the recommendations in Unibox, I used the Le from another 15" driver (I already forgot which one) as a baseline. It sure would be nice to know what to do with the Ls and Lp numbers though, like how to generate the Le number based on those 2 numbers somehow...or somethin'!

-Dennis

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

TC Sounds (Kyle?) answered the question in this thread. For subs:
      Ls is very close to Le because you can neglect Rp at lower frequency

Comment

• Mark Seaton
        • Aug 2001

This is just a 3 component model of the driver inductance instead of a single component (Le).

If you overlayed a curve of an ideal R+L with a driver's impedance curve, using Re & Le, you would see that the curves would have significant differences in most cases. If Le is taken at 1kHz for a woofer, you generally will see the real impedance being notably higher than the ideal of the inductance plus resistance. A better approximation breaks down the inductive nature of the coil into two sections or three components. You can get a decent curve-fit to the real impedance by modeling the inductance as one inductor in series with another inductor that is in parallel with a resistor.
        i.e.: Ls + (Lp || Rp)

So the full driver impedance model then becomes:

Z = Res + Ls + (Lp || Rp) + (driver resonance L||C||R)

Varoius programs allow this input directly. LspCAD includes this and I believe that LEAP/LMS does as well (since that is what system generates the parameters in the testing process). Accounting for this gives much better approximation of measured results.
        Mark Seaton
        "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Thank you guys. I haven't had access to LspCAD Pro since I've moved, but I can whip up something I think from the equations Mark posted.

Comment

• DennisP
            • Jun 2006

Very cool, that helps a great deal, thanks! :T

-Dennis

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"