X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnL
    • Dec 2004

Kef ACE?

Has anyone seen this? I would love to hear comments from the peanut gallery on this. If it works, it seems like it would be very easy to do, if you like boxes, that is. I'll let all of you talk while I run down to the local pet store and get some filter carbon for my fish tank. :B

KEF ACE Technology
  • seattle_ice
    • Jun 2006

Interesting premise.

It looks like they are saying that the O2 in the air will temporarily bond under pressure to the Carbon, thereby reducing air pressure in the enclosure.

I also read their white paper on the Coincident drivers. Taking coaxial speakers to a new level, and mounting a tweeter inside the voice coil of a woofer.

The 'Ace' concept should not be hard to test for someone with the proper measurement tools.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Spendy stuff. A quick Froogle search on activated carbon came up with something like $130/cu.ft. in bulk. Since it works best below 100Hz it would be most useful in subs and you'd need quite a few cubic feet to make much difference. And then there's the problem of containing the stuff so the air gets to it but no carbon gets out.

Interesting but not worth the hassle for DIY, IMO.

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

They mentioned that when going from a standard 8 liter enclosure to a 5 liter enclosure with the activated carbon, using the same driver, listening tests couldn't determine a difference in low end extension. Why not include some FR measurements as well?

For a DIY approach....someone should try using sponge :B

Comment

• seattle_ice
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
          For a DIY approach....someone should try using sponge :B
          Sea, Loofah or Synthetic?

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Why not include some FR measurements as well?
            They did.

Comment

• SteveCallas
              • Aug 2005

Lol, totally missed that.

I wonder how much the difference would be when going from a standard 8 liter box to a stuffed 6 liter box - using normal stuffing.

Comment

• sokoban
                • Apr 2006

Yeah, I would be kinda skeptical about this stuff.

Activated carbon doesn't "trap" fluids or molecules such as O2 Oxygen. The way it works is by being highly porous to allow a large surface area of carbon to bind and remove from the solution more polar impuruties like dissolved Chlorine in water for example. The whole point of using activated carbon is to CHEMICALLY adsorb things, and this is exactly how they are not using it. For the purpose of dampening a sound wave any number of porous materials could probably be found that would work just as well or better. Here's a link that has a pretty good basic description about how activated carbon works. http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...f/charcoal.htm

Comment

• SteveCallas
                  • Aug 2005

For the purpose of dampening a sound wave any number of porous materials could probably be found that would work just as well or better
                  So you're saying my poor man's sponge idea has a chance? :lol:

Comment

• mmoeller
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by sokoban
                    Yeah, I would be kinda skeptical about this stuff.

Activated carbon doesn't "trap" fluids or molecules such as O2 Oxygen. The way it works is by being highly porous to allow a large surface area of carbon to bind and remove from the solution more polar impuruties like dissolved Chlorine in water for example. The whole point of using activated carbon is to CHEMICALLY adsorb things, and this is exactly how they are not using it. For the purpose of dampening a sound wave any number of porous materials could probably be found that would work just as well or better. Here's a link that has a pretty good basic description about how activated carbon works. http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...f/charcoal.htm
                    The article is good, but it dosen't address the effects while under PRESSURE. Which is where Kef claims the effect to be present. Other materials are used in similar ways. There is a form of titanium that is used in pressurized hydrogen cylinders. The titanium bonds with hydrogen, under pressure, and makes it completely inert.

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                    I wonder how much the difference would be when going from a standard 8 liter box to a stuffed 6 liter box - using normal stuffing.
                    According to Martin J. King's quarter-wave.com the stuffing that he used only had an effect ABOVE 100hz or so. The idea of making the enclosure larger comes from the ability to slow down the speed of sound, but at very low frequencies this is difficult. It seems Kef claims that even these low frequency pressure waves can be effectively slowed, inside the box.

I know that many people have stated that you can gain up to 40% increase in volume using stuffing, but once again at what frequencies is this really effective.

You could put your carbon in here. :P

Comment

• sokoban
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mmoeller
                      The article is good, but it dosen't address the effects while under PRESSURE. Which is where Kef claims the effect to be present. Other materials are used in similar ways. There is a form of titanium that is used in pressurized hydrogen cylinders. The titanium bonds with hydrogen, under pressure, and makes it completely inert.
                      Well, they specifically say that the effects of ther system are due to physical adsorption rather than chemical adsorption. There is no chemical bonding going on with the carbon and the atmosphere. Physical adsorption is mostly a physical property, so I would expect any similarly porous material that isn't very polar to have about the same properties as activated carbon. Crushed ceramics (unglazed, because we want as high porosity as possible) like an earthenware would be interesting to try in the place of carbon, as would really porous lava rock or pumice (I forget the geologist's name for it). These London forces that they claim are causing this adsoption really do have this kind of effect of temporarily associating molecules to one another, but are in no way unique to activated carbon. I would be interested though to see how they manage to mount the activated carbon in the enclsure.

Comment

• seattle_ice
                        • Jun 2006

I think there is another factor at work here besides stuffing the enclosure for a perceived volume increase - lessening the mechanical pressure on the driver itself.

Comment

• JohnL
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sokoban
                          Well, they specifically say that the effects of ther system are due to physical adsorption rather than chemical adsorption. There is no chemical bonding going on with the carbon and the atmosphere. Physical adsorption is mostly a physical property, so I would expect any similarly porous material that isn't very polar to have about the same properties as activated carbon. Crushed ceramics (unglazed, because we want as high porosity as possible) like an earthenware would be interesting to try in the place of carbon, as would really porous lava rock or pumice (I forget the geologist's name for it). These London forces that they claim are causing this adsoption really do have this kind of effect of temporarily associating molecules to one another, but are in no way unique to activated carbon. I would be interested though to see how they manage to mount the activated carbon in the enclsure.
                          So something like this might be better?
                          Cell pore

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"