X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Router questions

Right now, I'm thinking about buying me a router (Amazon has some on sale). I was thinking about getting one of the Milwaukee 5625-20 3-1/2 HP Fixed-Base Router since it has good reviews. I was wondering though, are there any other suggested routers, and is a plunge router better than a fixed. Thanks!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You might consider this, it's one of the best routers available. Wonderful, smooth, and very powerful motor. Fits the Jasper circle cutting jigs ....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      You might consider this, it's one of the best routers available. Wonderful, smooth, and very powerful motor. Fits the Jasper circle cutting jigs ....
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Thanks for the quick reply thomas! I was actually considering that router as it was on sale for $112 earlier today, but I missed the sale Right now, the Milwaukee is on sale and comes with a free sander which was one other thing that kinda convinced me. Overall, if they were the same price, which would you choose?

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

If you are looking at routers, there are two IMO to get: the Dewalt 621 or the Hitachi that Thomas linked to. The strength of the DW621 is its dust collection (freaking awesome, especially for circle cutting and freehand routing, or anywhere where you must see the workpiece), and the Hitachi is reknowned for its power (and smoothness too, I think). If you ever watched the PBS show "The Router Workshop", they used the Hitachis exclusively. If I was to buy something to complement my 621, it would be the 'tachi.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
          Overall, if they were the same price, which would you choose?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
          If this is your first/only router, I would get a plunge model. Or a dual base (fixed + plunge), but they are costly. Get the Hitachi or the DW621 that Mark suggested. I have the DW625, and enjoy it immensely.

If you want to run 3/4" roundovers, or larger, you need the Hitachi. The ~2HP models are not safe with large diameter (>1.75") bits, according to advice I have gotten on numerous woodworking forums. Something about the ratio to the motor bearing to bit diameter.
          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• seattle_ice
            • Jun 2006

I have the Hitachi, and a DeWalt 625 with the dust collection attachment. Both have lots of power, plunge well, yadda yadda.

For my next one, I am getting the DeWalt 621 simply for the dust collection capabilities to use for all the MDF crap. The attachment works, but not as well as the built in one on the 621.

The Hitachi is not quite as slick as my DeWalt, but it can be found significantly cheaper.
            If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
            How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• jonathanb3478
              • May 2006

Originally posted by seattle_ice
              I have the Hitachi, and a DeWalt 625 with the dust collection attachment.

The Hitachi is not quite as slick as my DeWalt, but it can be found significantly cheaper.
              I got my DW625 for $213, shipped. That was significantly cheap enough for me to pull the trigger.
              Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
              -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• seattle_ice
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                I got my DW625 for $213, shipped. That was significantly cheap enough for me to pull the trigger.
                I love that router. It powers through anything, the plunge works great, and it is not too heavy for being such a workhorse. I have been using it for production work for three years, still works like new. Just wish the dust collection was on par with the DW621.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by seattle_ice
                  Just wish the dust collection was on par with the DW621.
                  Well, I have only used mine with out any dust collection, so once I get a method together to adapt my shop vac 2.5" hose onto that little port on the DC attachment my DW625 came with anything will be an improvement.
                  -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I have 2 Hitachi M12V's, 2 DeWalt 621's and a DeWalt 618.

For a first router I suggest the M12V. It will out live you. The DeWalts are nice but don't have the tank like build or the power of the M12V.

The 621 DeWalt have great dust collection and the worst power switch and locking mechanism of any tool I've ever used in my life. It's action is completely counter intuitive and wears out prematurely...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

The 621 power switch is a love it/hate it thing. I've read reviews where guys just trash it. But it's the router I first started using so it seems totally natural to me. Had I used other routers first I might have not liked it. I haven't used mine heavily enough to experience any possible wear problems with it, maybe 15 speaker projects so far. I was using a supremely crappy Craftsman router from the 70's before that. Bad times.

Comment

• seattle_ice
                        • Jun 2006

I have 2 Hitachi M12V's, 2 DeWalt 621's and a DeWalt 618.

For a first router I suggest the M12V. It will out live you. The DeWalts are nice but don't have the tank like build or the power of the M12V.

The 621 DeWalt have great dust collection and the worst power switch and locking mechanism of any tool I've ever used in my life. It's action is completely counter intuitive and wears out prematurely...

I don't like the switch on the 621 either.

I must have had different experience than you Thomas. My DW625 has outlasted two of the Hitachis, and that is despite doing twice as much work with it. Of course, I build houses with them, so it is not the typical workload that many routers will see. Cutting 30 windows openings in a day through 7/16" OSB in the rain with a flush cutting bit, etc. YMMV. And the Hitachi can be found for ~$50-75 cheaper if you really look.

OP: If you are buying a router simply to build an occasional cabinet, one of the lighter 2 hp routers will be easier to use. If you want one that can handle a lot of jobs, the 3+ hp models will definitely be the ticket. And you will definitely want the plunge capabilities for doing the driver recesses.

I would also suggest a 1/2" x 1-1/4" or longer solid carbide upspiral bit for cutouts. They really cut smoothly, and keep all the dust from packing in the grooves. The are a little on the spendy side however, and not necessary, just nice.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                          • May 2006

WOW!!! Thank you all for your quick responses and great advice! The main reason I wanted to get a router was to build my speakers and to do the molding for one of my house rennovation projects. So it looks like the hitachi and dewalt are the two main contenders! I'm leaning towards the hitachi more as I've had one bad experience with dewalt before.

So put basically, the plunge router is the one that I need in order to do driver recesses?

Also, I haven't heard anything about the bosch router with fixed and plunge base. Is that any good?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                            • Apr 2006

Yes, you definitely want the plunge for driver recesses. Also get the Jasper Jig (model 200 I think) if don't have one.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

And the Hitachi can be found for ~$50-75 cheaper if you really look.
                              How about throwing him a bone?..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                • Jun 2006

How about throwing him a bone?..
                                Hey, np.

Amazon.Com ~$150

Ebay - with shipping ~$132

Comment

• topp
                                  • Dec 2005

I figure I would throw my 2 cents in. I have both, a Porter Cable 8529 and the Hitachi M12V. I use the PC for free hand and the Hitachi will be used in a table, when I finish that. I would suggest getting a 2 to 2 1/4 HP router, either a plunge like the 8529 or one that have fixed and plunge bases. I would also look for one that has variable speeds. I don't think I would want to use the M12V or any other 3 HP router for handwork, since they weight so much. You mainly get the 3+ HP ones for large bits, which you are suppose use in a table.

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by topp
                                    I don't think I would want to use the M12V or any other 3 HP router for handwork, since they weight so much.
                                    He does make a good point. I forget sometimes that I am bigger and stronger than the average person, and have been using these things for so many years. When you are 240 lbs. and used to carrying beams around two stories up while balancing on floor joists, even the big routers feel like feathers to me. And I like the stability.

I am guessing that most people would find it fatiguing to route a bunch of small stuff with a big, heavy router, and might find it harder to see what they are doing as well. And MDF does not take high horsepower to machine well.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

My first real router was a M12V. All I did then was hand-held work. It's nice to have a router with some 'cajones' when cutting speaker holes in 1.5"-2.5" thick front baffles. I really like the weight of the Hitachi. The weight keeps it nice and steady not jumping all over the place.

And using one is proof the owner is a real man not a mouse..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                        • Jun 2006

My first router was an old D handle Rockwell. Weighed about the same as a cinderblock I think, and was about as esthetically pleasing.

Comment

• technimac
                                          • Feb 2005

Love my Dewalt 618 combo

I've had this set for about 3 years now and find it powerful enough to do 3/4" roundovers with no strain. Currently the fixed base is mounted under my Ryobi BT 3100 router table, and I use the plunge base for cutting circles and other freehand stuff.

The dust extraction system in the plunge base is a real plus. If I had it to do over, I would probably spring for the this 3-base deal (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013)
                                          on now at Amazon, because the D-handle gives you so much control with the center of effort so close to the work.

Good luck in your quest!
                                          "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• topp
                                            • Dec 2005

Inu_Yasha
                                            Check out http://www.patwarner.com/ and http://www.woodnet.net/ for information on routers. If your going to make a lot of speakers or round cut out I would get the Jasper jig that ThomasW recommended. I haven't had any problems with my 2 HP router going thought material, but I might be taking shallower cuts then others. I am more worried about the bit breaking then running out of power. The router is of my most used tools; next to my table saw. I seem to use it on any project I do. For what it's worth, if I hadn't got a great deal on the Hitachi, I would probably buy the Milwaukee and use it in a table. I haven't read too much bad about the Milwaukee, but most people us it in a table, since it has the ability to adjust the height from above the table.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

The Dewalt 618/616/etc is the same motor and bases as your link. We had a thread discussing it's dust extraction capabilities a while back....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Ten 99
                                                • Apr 2004

I own a DeWalt DW621, and have used a DW625. The 621 is my favorite router, and if I could only have one, it would be the 621. It is a bit awkward to use at first, but you get used to it.

I also own the Hitatchi M12V which is dedicated to a table now. It is a good router, and a great value. I don't think it has quite as smooth of a plunge action as the DeWalts, but overall I have very few complaints with it.

I also own a Porter Cable 690 fixed base router. It is also a nice little router, which I am quite fond of.

The last of the bunch that I own is a Bosch Colt 20 trim router. I've only used this one a small amount, so not much experience - so far I've been very pleased with it.

As far as the router that was mentioned by the OP, that Milwaukee is a fantastic router - for a router table. I wouldn't want to use that heavy thing for a fixed base hand held. In fact, eventually I would like to replace my Hitachi with that same Milwaukee. You know what they say, you can never have enough routers!

Good luck with your decision. If you have any local stores that carry any of these models, I would suggest trying them out in your hands and seeing how they feel to you.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

is a plunge router better than a fixed.
                                                  Yes, if you are only going to have one router/base, it should have a plunge base. A plunge router can do anything a fixed base can do but the reverse is not true. Cutting circles with a jasper jig or patterns with a template is much harder with a fixed base than with a plunge base.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by topp
                                                    I don't think I would want to use the M12V or any other 3 HP router for handwork, since they weight so much. You mainly get the 3+ HP ones for large bits, which you are suppose use in a table.
                                                    My DW625 is a breeze to work with, free hand. I do not own any bits that require a table, but I do not think my router weighs too much for hand work. I have never worked with a different router, however, so maybe I would "prefer" a smaller one. Never the less, mine is easy enough to work with.

I will say I get a kind of "using a chainsaw on butter" impression when I use this thing on MDF with the bits I have now.
                                                    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Ten 99
                                                      You know what they say, you can never have enough routers!
                                                      I could have sworn that was for clamps.
                                                      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                                                        I could have sworn that was for clamps.
                                                        It applies for almost any tool. :roll:

Comment

• yousuredo2
                                                          • Jun 2006

not to highjack the thread...
                                                          but can you tell/explain the diferences in routers...
                                                          I am new to routers, only been using one(craftmans) for about a year...
                                                          I understand that these discussed here are better, but how so...
                                                          I would love to upgrade to a Better one...
                                                          but there isnt anything wrong per-say with mine...
                                                          so I need to justify the cost of another one...
                                                          My System
                                                          ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                                                          ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                                                          ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                                                          ~ Sony PS.3
                                                          ~ Xbox 360
                                                          ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                                                          ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                                                          ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                                                          ~ Behringer ep2500
                                                          ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                            • Apr 2006

Comprised of five divisions — Collectibles, Home Arts, Home Building, Marine, and Writer’s Digest — Active Interest Media (AIM) produces leading consumer and trade events, websites, magazines and films/TV shows.

Comment

• jdb
                                                              • Aug 2006

Hi, long time lurker, just joined today just to let everyone know: I saw the M12V at Home Depot today marked down to $133 (from $219).

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Markdowns like that will be at the discretion of the particular store manager. So this won't be a chain wide situation.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by yousuredo2
                                                                  not to highjack the thread...
                                                                  but can you tell/explain the diferences in routers...
                                                                  I am new to routers, only been using one(craftmans) for about a year...
                                                                  I understand that these discussed here are better, but how so...
                                                                  I would love to upgrade to a Better one...
                                                                  but there isnt anything wrong per-say with mine...
                                                                  so I need to justify the cost of another one...
                                                                  It may depend on the particular model you have. I got a Craftsman as a gift, but it is the professional model. I think it is actually a Bosch unit with the Craftsman name slapped on it. It does a fine job, at least so far.

If I had to pick one out myself, hindsight would lead me towards the Hitachi, I don't anticipate enough incremental performance gain to toss mine aside though.
                                                                  Danish

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2006

I personally have a Porter Cable 895PK, Bosch Colt and a Craftsman 1HP circa 1960.

Porter Cable 895PK

Bosch Colt
                                                                    Jim

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                                                      I think it is actually a Bosch unit with the Craftsman name slapped on it. It does a fine job, at least so far.
                                                                      That's exactly what the Pro model is. I have have the Craftsman Pro biscuit joiner and it's a rebadged Dewalt.

The Bosch 1617 is nice.
                                                                      Jim

Comment

• awm
                                                                        • Feb 2004

Get the DeWalt 621 if you haven't, yet...

Despite the power on/locking mechanism, which is one of the silliest designs I've ever seen, the dust collection is so exceptional that it simply obviates almost all other concerns. And, you can actually tame the absurdity of the locking design with a bit of practice. I learned of the importance of dust collection with heavy use of, ironically enough, the Hitachi. The Hitachi is great and would easily be my number two choice, for all of the reasons everyone, especially ThomasW, has mentioned. But, after the enormous amount of dust generated working mdf with the Hitachi, dust that gets everywhere and covers the piece you're working on, to boot, it was a no brainer of a decision that I haven't regretted once. (Well, okay -- maybe once when the damn locking thing decided to be even sillier... )

Andy

Comment

• Martyn
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2006

Bosch Colt
                                                                          [/QUOTE]

This looks like one of them there dustless models... :lol:

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 257

The Dewalt 621 is the nimble winner in the hand held category. It is a bit tippy due to the narrow base which is easily compensated with the addition of a round or offset base. The Porter Cable 7518 is the standard in the "Big Boy" category....especially for table mounting
                                                                            Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                                                            BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"