X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

ART SLA-1 & SLA-2

I am looking at these 1RU amps for my measurement system. Does ART have a good name in the pro audio world? I like these because they are compact, have extended FR (10-40kHz +/- .5dB), and have a variable speed fan which should (hopefully) be very quiet at measurement levels but allow for adequate cooling at power testing levels. They're also cheap (220 and 280). Does anyone have any input on these? OH and do they have detented or continuosly adjustable gain controls? If anyone knows that would be mucho appreciado.
  • Mudjock
    • Sep 2005

I can't say that I have any direct experience with the Art amps, but there are a few individuals over at Audio Asylum who rave about them as "giant killer" amps (for whatever that is worth). If you are thinking about something small that would be suitable for measuring, the Parasound Zamp is an interesting alternative (about 40 wpc, can handle 4 ohms, really small).
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I'm interested in those too but I haven't ever heard one. Besides being small, they are supposedly much quieter than most pro amps. The heatsinks are outside the case so much of the cooling is passive.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

The Zamp looks very interesting, nice and small and portable. I might get one strictly as a measurement amp. Only downside is the power output and lack of detented gain controls...

What other amps would you guys recommend for this application, besides the Parasound? Samson makes some passive pro amps that are cheap but I don't know if they are any good.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Also how do I mount a half-rack unit in a standard rack?

Comment

• poneal

Hey Mark

I bought one of these for my measurement amp. It was cheap and works well with full factory warranty. Mine looked like it was brand new (both of them). I sold one when I sold all my other speakers and stuff a month or so ago. I bought the HK3380 and you should bid no more than $125.00 to win. I got one for 135 and one for 125 including shipping and handling. Here's a link:

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Amphiprion
              Also how do I mount a half-rack unit in a standard rack?
              Might just buy something like PE Part Number 262-110 and create what you need. The other options are pretty pricey.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

It's one standard rack unit high (1 3/4") so it will fit just fine in any standard pro rack. If you're putting them on 'home rack' shelves, just stack several of them on a shelf.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Oops I thought he was talking about 1/2 rack width like the Benchmark DAC1 or the RNC compressor

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

The Zamp is a 1RU tall and 1/2 rack width wide, the ART's are full-width 1RU units.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"