X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Anyone hear about the QSC DSP-30?

This $500 unit looks like it fits in between the BFD and the SMS-1. It seems more powerful than either, with signal summing/splitting, crossover functions, shelving functions, limiters/compressors, lots of parametric EQ abilities, and more. It has no measurement capabilites I don't think, and it's not automated like the SMS-1, so you're trading off ease of use for power. But it does have a PC based programming interface, which is ridiculously easy to use, and you can add as many functions (EQ, XO, whatever) as you want until you run out of processor capability (which it neatly indicates at the bottom of the programming window as a % utilization).

Anyway, I hadn't heard this unit talked about before, so I thought I might see if anyone had heard of it / used it and if not, just post to make folks aware of it. Seems neat.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm sure Mark Seaton will drop by and post, this is a tool he likes to use.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

It's good at what it does but it only has two inputs and two outputs. If you just want to EQ two channels, the Behringer DEQ2496 costs less. If you want a 2->6 crossover/EQ, the Behringer DCX2496 is the cheapest way to go. If you need the CAD-style programming interface like the QSC has, most likely you'll want more than two outputs so, for a few bucks more, the Rane RPM26 has the CAD interface, 2 inputs and 6 outputs.

Note: if you're a "transient perfect" fan, both the QSC and the Rane can do a subtracted-delayed crossover with no phase distortion caused by the crossover. Put a square wave into the crossover and the summed output will be a square wave. Lipshitz and Vanderkooy first published this kind of crossover and John K. made the DIY community aware of it. How audible all this phase distortion stuff is is open for debate but it can't hurt if you can live with the rolloff slopes imposed by the crossover. Basically 4th order on the lowpass and 3rd order on the highpass. Here's a pic of a 2-way subtracted-delayed XO done with the QSC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	transient_perfect_xo.gif
Views:	1113
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	845853
      Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:00 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

May I suggest another option: http://www.peavey.com/products/brows.../VSX%3F+26.cfm
        Available online for about $450.
        Peavey isn't BSS or Renkus-Heinz, but their products are well engineered and good (like the low-rider subs) value - at least the one's that I have used in the field.
        I have the DCX, had a Driverack and will have to give the Peavey serious consideration in the future. Digital in, USB, etc. Unfortunately I have no hands on experience with the units, so performance, GUI, etc. are still unknown. My guess is that it's a good unit. Maybe very good.

cheers,

AJ
        Manufacturer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"