Finished my speakers (DIY Home Audio - 56k beware)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tommythecat
    • Nov 2005

Finished my speakers (DIY Home Audio - 56k beware)

I've finally gotten my speakers done. Its a design thats similar to Adire Audio's Kit61, utilizing Adire's Extremis 7" midwoofer. You can find the project I used here:
    Extremis
    I guess my buddy put it best, because I've no good speakers to compare these to. He's got a slightly older set of EV three-way towers with a 15" woofer. Now, these are not efficient speakers, but he said he could hear so much more midrange detail. He said he was "delightfully suprised" and they've got just as much bass, if not more low bass (25-35hz material). BTW the enclosure is .8 cuft tuned to 32hz, output is more like a 10" than a 7".

Got the rig together with my buddy, with whom I built two sets of these bad boys.

Had the .75"MDF all cut up and started to glue and screw 'em together.

Took me like 6 hours to build all the crossovers and make sure they'd fit and work the first time.

Making sure everything is good to go before we seal them up, If you can see they've got an inch of sound mat lining the inside. They'll also be stuffed each with about a half a cu. ft. of polyfill. No midrange coming from the box here

Here's the rig set up in my apartment. Onkyo amp (maybe 75W per chan) and Behringer DEQ2496 - full RTA, 30band Graphic EQ and 10band Parametric EQ. Haven't used the EQ much except to tame the room boost in the bass freqs.

These old Bose 501's are now relegated to speaker stand duty.

Here's a close up. Used about two coats of low gloss black paint. Same stuff we used to paint the stage of our highschool theatre.

My full gallery is here: http://www.carstereos.org/gallery/br...ages.php?c=180

(Please excuse the 'simpleton' writing, Im cross-posting on audio and non-audio forums. If you've got any questions please ask.)
    Last edited by Tommythecat; 07 July 2006, 11:03 Friday. Reason: clean up pictures and links
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Pictures don't work. But, probably just as well. That is a lot of pictures to put in line.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• yousuredo2
      • Jun 2006

Link to project sorce, not working...
      great looking project...
      did you have fun, & learn anything from it ?
      keep up the good work...
      My System
      ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
      ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
      ~ Onkyo tx sr805
      ~ Sony PS.3
      ~ Xbox 360
      ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
      ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
      ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
      ~ Behringer ep2500
      ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Tommythecat
        • Nov 2005

Sorry guys. Imagehosts aren't my best friends these days. And I also apologize if its too many pictures. But I'm not much of a talker.

I learned that it takes way more time and prep to build speakers than I thought, but its not too hard (if you have a design). I'll be able to appreciate my work more when its an original design from concept to product.

I'm already thinking of a next project - well, getting the two Avalanche 15's out of my car and in a huge ported box is first. Next would be a set of speakers that I hopefully haven't imagined yet (or just an all out rock set with horn+12" pro sound drivers).

Comment

• ski_merlin
          • Apr 2006

Really, really nice speakers bud. Looks close to what I'll want when I get my own place! :B

Until then my party speaker will do. How much did the entire project cost ya?

~J

Comment

• Tommythecat
            • Nov 2005

Lets see...I've been trying to add it all up so my friend can pay me, but this is about how it broke down for me:
            tweeters: 60
            woofers: 150
            crossovers: 100
            box+ misc materials: 100
            So about 400 bucks a pair. Mind you, the woofers are used but in good condition and the kit Adire sells goes for 215 a piece with no enclosure (tweeter, woofer, and crossover parts - unassembled). I also caught a break on eBay to get some of the parts, so all in all I saved about 100 bucks a pair from "retail".

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"