X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

Modal behavior/dipole subs

Can anyone point me toward any measurements that compare how dipole and monopole differ in how they excite room modes?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

There's a lot of discussion back and forth on that; SL's done some studies, too; look on his site.

Setup is very important in evaulating this; consider the Cardas and Wilson techniques for getting monopole systems setup. Most people get no where near there.

The bottom line is how does it sound, in the positions you're likely to be able to use.

Sorry to be so terse, but time limited.

Oh, and in a blast from the past, the newest Sterephile has a review of the Legacy Whisper, a system that Thomas and I "Kloned" about ten years ago, and which convinced me of the desirability of dipole operation in at least the 50 Hz to 300 Hz area.

I even visited the Legacy factory (quite a few years back). Was a bit dissappointed after I saw the component quality in the crossovers, but not surprise after I heard a demo at the factory turned up too loud with obvious core saturation effects in the crossover (think ferrite bobbin inductors, electrolytic caps).
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Maybe you can find something om John K's site? http://www.musicanddesign.com/tech.html

Comment

• Rudolf
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
        Can anyone point me toward any measurements that compare how dipole and monopole differ in how they excite room modes?
        This is in german but it contains measurements done for monopoles, dipoles and cardioids at 3 different positions in a room:

A word of caution: Since these measurements don´t include different orientations of the dipole and cardioid, the full potential of those principles is not exploited.

Rudolf
        Rudolf
        dipolplus.de

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
          • Aug 2001

Thanks, gents.

The bottom line is how does it sound, in the positions you're likely to be able to use.
          Indeed. I'm trying to deal with some modes that seem to defy lots of OC705 bass-trapping and positioning, and I didn't recall seeing much on in-room dipole plots. So far, based on a few hours of TrueRTA sweeps, the best positions for my dual DPL-12 sealed workhorses have been at opposite wall-midpoints as suggested by that Welti/JBL paper. Puts them a little close to the couch for my preferred 100hz crossover, though, so I was hoping a dipole "mid-woofer" could work up front/center down to 40hz or so than roll in my IB or other sealed below. I have enough scrap, so I'll throw together a small H-frame and see what happens with a few DPL-12's.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"