X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knifeinthesink
    • Jan 2006

need project with inexpensive drivers and minimal xo

I want to build some speakers for my work place. They're probably going to get dirty and its a noisy environment, so inexpensive and simple would be suitable. All the drivers I can think of off hand have some kind of breakup that require more complex xo's to deal with.

The music is mostly rock, and Id like to have some bass and power. Definately 2way, probably 6-8 inch.

Can you guys suggest drivers or a documented project?

Thanks.
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

what's your budget set at?

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

The Pioneer B20FU20-51FW is an 8" driver that's a frugal favorite among the "full range driver" crowd. I hear that it works best with a tweeter crossed high. I bet that a first order to a cheap tweeter around 5k would be quite listenable.

There's no way it will hold a candle to the sticky projects, but for less than $22 each, you could get four of them to spread out.

All I'm saying is- paper cones can be relatively efficient with tolerable breakup.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• knifeinthesink
        • Jan 2006

Hmm. You know, I eyed that driver many times when I was looking at my first couple of speaker projects and I am pretty curious.

My budget? CHEAP. Under $100 CAN. Maybe Ill splurge and go up to $200 but absolutely no more.

Comment

• derekbannatyne
          • Jan 2006

What about these? About $100 US for parts.

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

Loud?

Derek,

Not a bad looking project, but I don't think those woofers will get very loud. A ported 7" or 8" (or doubling up on woofers) is really required for me to call them "loud".

I did a quick google search for something using the Dayton DA175, and came up with this:

I can't comment on the quality of the design, but the tests I've read suggest that it's a big winner for low budgets. Check out Zaph's comments.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"