X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tf1216
    • Apr 2006

Any experience with Peerless 830491 8" XLS

Hey all,

I had big plans for using two of these per side to mate with multiple 2-ways I have been building. I did research and these drivers were getting a lot of attention from car audio folks and it seemed home audio guys as well.

I did some more reading the other day and I found one person with lots and lots of experience with this driver and he flat out hated it. He sold Peerless drivers and pulled the HDS line for his dislike of this driver and the standard HDS driver, I believe.

I know it is only one person's opinion and that is why I am asking if others have tried the driver. Anybody have any feedback for me?

I will be using Behringer equipment to help integrate all of my projects together, FYI.

Thanks everyone!

T/S Parameters:

• tf1216
    • Apr 2006

Anyone?

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tf1216
      Anyone?
      It's a nice woofer, I've tried it. It's too bad Peerless has discontinued it. There really is no replacement for it in their line. Their other 8" HDS non-XLS woofers are relatively low Xmax, which is fine, but leaves no options if you need a higher output sub in the 8" form factor.

If you were going to use two per side, a single 10 or 12" XLS will do pretty much the same job. Or a single Dayton RS 10" for that matter. There are plenty of options out there.

I'm curious what the guy who hated these had to say. Generally the HDS line is excellent and I can't imagine anyone disliking it.
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• tf1216
        • Apr 2006

I was assuming two 8" drivers per side would improve efficiency and improve midbass performance while still playing below 40 Hz. We will see once the cabinets have been completed.

Here is an email I saved about one person's opinion about the 8" XLS drivers:

"The 830491 just didn't cut it for any applications here. For music the tonal quality of the bass was nowhere near as good as the 8" Vifa M22WR which also went lower in the same Vb and for HT it didn't go low enough and bottomed out too easy and a 10" XLS is heaps better for that application.

Several designs in boxes from 29 litres to 40 litres were tried and none were acceptable. Tried it again recently but still a bummer.... driver is now a paper weight. The 850490 has better tonal qualities for music but still not a great performer for an 8" woofer. Both of those were removed from my sales list.

I haven't tried it above 100Hz but I don't think it would be suitable for frequencies above that as the moving mass might be a tad high. I actually have read very little about the driver anywhere. There's only one way to find out is to play with them and you might find them acceptable.... don't just take my word for it as it's only one person's experiences and tastes."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"