X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nodiak
    • May 2006

Bracing the vent - yay or nay ?

I'm just about to glue the last panels on a Natalie P towers. I'm using a downfiring vent and using simple stick type braces (fr.to back, and side to side) at that area (the rest of cab uses horizontal braces with several 3" and other holes drilled to equal about 10% more than drivers sd). I can place the braces at various points and am considering adhering them to the vent tubing (3" pvc) with liquid nails type adhesive. I don't think it will be a big deal, but might matter if I do that vs. keeping them from touching the vent.
    If braces are touching the vent it raises the fr of the vent, but also lets any resonance from it travel through the cab. If not touching the vent resonance is lower and likely louder.
    Is this an issue that has been figured out, or does it matter beyond theoretical neurosis? (I like the idea of bracing the vent for solidity, but dunno if it will matter audible reasons).
    I'm also thinking about layering some type of goop on the vent to help soak up resonance. That might be a vote for having braces adhered to vent.
    Don
    Last edited by nodiak; 02 July 2006, 21:08 Sunday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Supporting the vent can't hurt.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nodiak
      • May 2006

Thanks Thomas, I went for bracing the vent. Cabs should be all glued up by tomorrow. I don't have a digital camera, but may be able to track down one from a friend to show inside shot.
      Don

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"