X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Designing a small 2-way

OK, so a friend had his SuperOne's stolen out of his U-Haul while he was moving out of his apartment in Dallas (yay Texas crime rates ). He's commissioned me to build him a set of small two-ways as a replacement. I've chatted with him a bit, and here's the plan so far.

The design is to use the Parts Express 0.25 cubic foot cabinet. The midwoofer will be the 5.5" Peerless Exclusive (830882) in a .25cf vented alignment per manufacturer's recommendation (adjusted to actual box volume and tuned as appropriate).

The useable baffle area of the .25cf cabinet is 6.5" wide x 11" tall; the woofer has a frame radius of 6" dead on. So I don't have a lot of room to move this tweeter around to improve diffraction effects.

1) I have previously used a Morel MDT-37 (the semi-horn loaded one) with a Peerless 6.5" HDS to good effect. Diffraction is a non-issue with this tweeter. You can plop it anywhere on the baffle, and the FR looks flat. It is overpriced, however, relative to newer tweeters with flatter FR and lower nonlinear distortion (like the new Seas tweeters or the RS28a). It also takes a little work to tame the 'bite' this one can sometimes have (relative to the MDT-30 I've also worked with).

2) Seas tweeters. Several good ones, like the 27TBCFG and 27TDFC (hope I got all those freaking numbers right) or the cooler-looking 29TFFW (customer speaker = looks important). Very nice looking graphs. Standard frame size leaves little room for movement on a ~6" x 6" baffle area, hence some possible on-axis diffraction problems.

2) A good neo tweeter, like the Seas 27AFNC/G or 27TFFNC/G (I HATE this nomenclature). Not quite as good measuring as the 27TBFCG, but much freedom in baffle location.

3) The RS28a. Similar issues to the standard flange Seas tweeters. But I'm also concerned about the consistency issues that were raised with these on either Zaph or Mark K's site (can't remember which). I know these are popular around here, so I was hoping someone can comment.

Anyone have any comments? Thanks!
    Last edited by Amphiprion; 02 July 2006, 03:47 Sunday.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I've really seen no issues with RS28A's unless you're trying to cross them really really low. *shrug* been a while, and I think PE really went after the QC folks to get what little issues were there fixed. Then again, it may have just drifted under the radar.

At any rate, I'm a huge fan of the Seas silk dome stuff. I'd look to the tiny Neo tweets for the best flexibility and all that stuff.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

Let's take a step back, what do you guys think about the Seas L15 vs. the Peerless?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Had tweeter chat with Jon yesterday, he's recovering from knee surgery so is he can't escape when I call....:wink:

One statement that stood out in this discussion, was that he's of the opinion that the RD28a is the best tweeter available unless one plans on spending more than $150.

So use that little tidbit as you will.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mark K
          • Feb 2002

Hi Mark

I wouldn't worry about the RS28 if you're going to use it with a smaller midwoofer. The variability is really only at the low end.

My choices for absolute value and overall excellence, in no particular order are

The Seas 27TBFC/G (and less so, the soft dome siblings, TDFC and TDC)
          The RS28a
          The new Peerless HDS

As to the L15--

Well, 6 months ago, when the Peerless was, what? $45, I would have said go Peerless. Now the Peerless is $10 more. They are both excellent midwoofers. I think you have to decide your box size requirements. You can look on Zaph's site for a reasonable box size.

The other issue is, do you want to try to pull off a simpler, second order xover, or are you looking 4th+ notch or elliptic?
          www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

Mark, I've got an unused Vifa D27TG-35-06 tweet if you're interested for this or another project. No charge, just barter for some room measurement equipment experience.

Comment

• Mark K
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Hank
              Mark, I've got an unused Vifa D27TG-35-06 tweet if you're interested for this or another project. No charge, just barter for some room measurement equipment experience.

Hi Hank,

I'll pass on the D27. Believe it or not, but I've sort of got drivers coming out of my ears...no pun intended. More than happy to offer my thoughts on measurements for free.
              www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

I think Hank was offering it to me And don't worry Hank, no need to barter for room measurement services. The measurement service I owe you for that 1.25" MDF incident alone will last you for life. Sometimes I don't know why you put up with me

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                  ... that 1.25" MDF incident ....
                  ??? Inquiring minds want to know?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

Hank is very generous with his time and table saw. One time I abused that generosity by asking him if I could stop by with some wood that I needed cut up for some speakers. I didn't mention that I would be showing up with no less than four sheets of 4x8 1.25" thick MDF in a suburban, three sheets of which we ended up pushing across his saw. They ended up being a pair of 200lb each Tempest subwoofers (https://www.hayenga.com/mark/speaker...t/tempests.htm).

Like I said, I have no idea why he puts up with me

Comment

• Mark K
                      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                      I think Hank was offering it to me And don't worry Hank, no need to barter for room measurement services. The measurement service I owe you for that 1.25" MDF incident alone will last you for life. Sometimes I don't know why you put up with me
                      Hi Mark,

Rereading it, I see you're right. Phew. I thought someone was trying to get me to test another speaker... 8O
                      www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"