X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ski_merlin
    • Apr 2006

Dayton QT385-4 & SA240 Plans

Since my other sub thread disappeared, and I finally have enough money to get this thing started (yes!), I decided to run my plan by you all one more time before I start cutting wood.

I know some wanted me to use the Dayton DVC instead of the Quatro, and I agree that it'd be better...but truth is I just can't squeeze it right now money-wise. The Quatro will be fine for my party speaker usage.

Been reading Dickason's book and have decided that a SBB4 Super Fourth-Order Boom Box alignment will work (The TS Qts of the 15" Quatro is 0.416). Coming up with 5.5ft^3 tuned to 21Hz. Would be a single 4" dia port at 10.98" long.

OR

With an EBP of about 48, should I just go with a Bessel response (Q ~ 0.577) sealed enclosure . The only thing I worry about the voice coil...with an Xmax of 10mm, is that long enough for a sealed 15" sub?

Powered by the Dayton 240W plate.

I'll be ordering tonight and start building as soon as my order comes!

Thanks for your guys help, I'll update my progress in this thread.
    ~J
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I built a Quatro 15/240W amp enclosure a few months ago. I can get the exact dimensions for you, if you wish. It is basically 5.75ft^3, with two 3" ID ports, and each one is 27" long. Tuned to roughly ~19Hz. We have been very pleased with it, especially for the $$$ (spent less than $250 on everything).

Click image for larger version

Name:	abarecab.webp
Views:	36
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	944075

Name:	afinishedsub.webp
Views:	34
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	944076

Name:	atop.webp
Views:	35
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	944077
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:40 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ski_merlin
      Since my other sub thread disappeared,

Disappear? Nope it's right where you left it......

Hey all, I'm pretty sure most of you have seen the "Dorm/Party Speakers (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19566)" thread where I finally decided on building a pair of speakers using Eminence Beta 10CX's and Eminence ASD1001's. It should be a great project and I want to thank everyone that helped me
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:42 Wednesday. Reason: Update quote

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ski_merlin
        • Apr 2006

Whoops, sorry Thomas--I couldn't find my thread for the life of me, I even searched LOL. I was probably listening to music when I was looking and missed it.

That box is impressive Willy! I'm glad it worked out for you--it looks exactly what I'm looking to do, except I'm going flip it on it's side to use it as a table, too. (This is being put in a college townhouse, space = everything). If you could post or PM me your plans, you have no idea how much that would help.

Thanks guys!
        ~J

PS...I'm really not trying to be a PITA about anything, I'm just trying to geth this system together before school. Does anyone know how Mark's doing on his Beta 10cx design?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Whoops, sorry Thomas--I couldn't find my thread for the life of me, I even searched LOL. I was probably listening to music when I was looking and missed it.
          If you click on your username, there's a link to show all your posts or all the threads you started

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ski_merlin
            • Apr 2006

Thanks! That's actually really useful....sorry I'm vBulletin dumb.

~J

Comment

• ski_merlin
              • Apr 2006

I ordered the parts, finally!

Thanks to WillyD for all his help via PM. The Dayton 240W plate amp is on sale for $100 now and got the 15" Quatro sub for $75!

After a couple of PMs, Willy convinced me to go with a sealed design with a Q near .7, which means a box that's about 3.25 ft^3.

Now I've checked and double checked, but I can't seem to get my TS parameters right for the Quatro...I've been using Unibox and Bassbox Pro to help me, but since I think my params are wrong on the unit, they both say I need a 1.25 ft^3 to achieve a Q of 0.707. Something's not right.

Anybody have the right params?

Thanks,
              ~J

Comment

• Mazeroth
                • Nov 2004

Ignore the Q. Build the largest box you possibly can :T

Comment

• WillyD
                  • Feb 2006

PARAMETERS

Re 3.50 [ê ]
                  Fs 20.97 [Hz]
                  F1 17.28 [Hz]
                  F2 25.85 [Hz]
                  Zm 124.30 [ê]
                  D 324.00 [mm]
                  Qms 14.22
                  Qes 0.41
                  Qts 0.40
                  Bl 18.03 [N/A]
                  L1K 4.28 [mH]
                  L10K 2.03 [mH]
                  Ms 290.56 [g]
                  Vas 188.18 [l]
                  dBSpl 91.79 [dB]
                  Cms 0.20 [mm/N]
                  Ma 98.00 [g]
                  FsMa 18.13 [Hz]

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                    • Aug 2001

PS...I'm really not trying to be a PITA about anything, I'm just trying to geth this system together before school. Does anyone know how Mark's doing on his Beta 10cx design?
                    I have the drivers here and figure I'll have a box together next week. Next week is going to be really busy for me, so probably the week after that is when I'll get around to measuring and playing with the crossover.
                    Mark Seaton
                    "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"