Contemplating Dual Dayton DVC 15" project for HT.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Contemplating Dual Dayton DVC 15" project for HT.

This is what i've calculated thus far.

Sealed 4.5cu.ft enclosure Q=.707

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBResponseDaytonDVC15sealed128Lencl.gif
Views:	43
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	944681
    Vented 6.0cu.ft enclosure

Name:	VBResponseDaytonDVC15vented169Le-1.gif
Views:	27
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	944682

This is assuming each driver is fed 250watts. I have absolutely no understanding of how to wire this with a mono plate amp while keeping the 4ohm impedance :P This will be a cheap project for the living room. Both designs meet my performance criteria for this project. What would you guys suggest?

Looks like I may be able to get away with a significantly smaller enclosure going the sealed route.
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Recently two people have reported issues with audible 'chuffing' from the spiders with their PE drivers when driven hard. Chris D has a pair installed in an IB, Derek has a single driver in a ported box.

So I wonder if you want to reconsider your choice of drivers for this project given this info.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

Unfortunately the DVC 15 models really well with only modest power helping to keep cost of the project low... Maybe Dual 12" assasins will do?

Edit: On second thought, they don't look bad @ all.

Name:	VBResponseAssasin12169ldual.gif
Views:	30
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	944683

Name:	CBResponseAssasin12164ldual.gif
Views:	30
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	944684

Losing a bit of output and the enclosure requires a slightly larger box (sealed) to achieve the same Q as the DVC 15. Looks good with a little bit of power too.
      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

What's the overall budget?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
          • Feb 2006

Less than $400 if possible.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Maybe Dual 12" assasins will do?
            Don't have a clue, don't know anyone who's used them. It's a big output drop going from a pair of 15"s to a pair of 12"s

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Exocer
              • Feb 2006

It sure is. :E

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Well the cost for a pair of DVC 15's is roughly that of the SoundSplinter RL-p15 and the output will be similar. What amp are you using for your 300 watt model?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Exocer
                  • Feb 2006

300 watt bash plate amp. Definitely open to suggestions if there is a possibility of going the proamp route on this budget.

Edit: I am a bit confused about this. I changed nominal input to 150 watts but since there are two drivers it doubles the power. Right now the charts are showing 300 watts total input power, is that 150 watts to each driver?

Comment

• WillyD
                    • Feb 2006

Why not check out the Reference series 15s? They aren't expensive..and they model fairly well (sealed..at least).

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Exocer
                      Right now the charts are showing 300 watts total input power, is that 150 watts to each driver?
                      It's double whatever power you put in the Pmax box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Exocer
                        • Feb 2006

Thomas, got it. I see that it doubles. I know nothign about wiring though, so how does one go about distributing the power this way with only 1 amp? sorry for the n00b questions...

WillyD the Rs 15" looks good both sealed and ported (169L enclosure) with 300 watts. I don't want to post too many graphs... so i'll stop. Sealed it accomplishes an unassisted F3 of 32hz in a 126liter cabinet (single driver) and is good for 100db @ 20hz with 300 watts of power. Looks decent. I'll keep this in mind.

What Le are you guys using for the SS rl-p15?

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I know nothign about wiring though, so how does one go about distributing the power this way with only 1 amp? sorry for the n00b questions...
                          Wire the drivers in series or parallel depending on the load you want the amp to see.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Exocer
                            • Feb 2006

gotcha.

Comment

• Exocer
                              • Feb 2006

O audio 500watt amp plus a single RL-p 15 already pushes things over $400 8O This looks like a good project though. Heck, for $239.99 I might as well get the EP 1500 or for just $50 more an EP2500 8O

This project just skyrocketed to over $600 :T

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Yeah, but you won't HAVE to build another to get the results you really want. So in the long run, you are probably saving yourself a little money.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Exocer
                                  • Feb 2006

Now, realistically I'll have A LOT of time to sort this project out since it wont be happening until 07'. Keep in mind the approximate room dimensions this sub will be 18'x20' with 8.5' ceilings open to the rest of the house (I live in a duplex townhouse). Now, I've started looking at the Dayton RSS390HF 15" driver. Suprisingly it doesn't exceed Xmax until 16hz in a 4ft^3 enclosure being fed just 250 watts. The downside is output is pretty much limited to a max of 112db with 250 watts and I suck at determining how much output is adequate in relation to room size. Another thing to keep in mind is the price of the Assasin 12" driver has gone from $75 to $90..So to go the dual Assasin route would require I spend more on woofage but it will almost gaurentee a 6db increase in output above 25hz with 500 watts. Either way i've settled on the EP2500 as the amp of choice. I'll just have to be carefull not to get too trigger happy with the gain..

And as of now I am completely sold on the Sonotube Idea. Size constraints are a max diameter of 10" and a Maximum height of 54".
                                  Last edited by Exocer; 28 June 2006, 22:12 Wednesday.

Comment

• Exocer
                                    • Feb 2006

Oh btw, room size is 18'x18' but the right side is open to the reat of the house.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                      • Sep 2005

And as of now I am completely sold on the Sonotube Idea. Size constraints are a max diameter of 10" and a Maximum height of 54".
                                      I assume you mean the maximum radius is 10", not diameter. You can't fit a 15" driver into a 10" hole, at leat not very easily.

Brian Walter

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"