Anyone use Heavy-duty double sided Foam tape to...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Anyone use Heavy-duty double sided Foam tape to...

mount your crossover caps, inductors, resistors etc.?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

One more time, hot glue.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I second that! I did that for my last crossover, and it was a snap. Also, it's harder to get good contact with double sided tape due to the irregular shapes of the components.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Exocer
        • Feb 2006

Sorry Thomas, I know you've suggested hot glue gun about 10 times.
        I've tried a hot glue gun (a VERY cheap one) but the glue doesn't seem to stick to the PC board which the crossover is mounted on, nor to the component itself.I figured it would be a simple process but either the gluegun and/or glue I am using is crap or the PC board along with the other components do not work with the glue this gun uses. I've got only 1 cap to stick and if I'm not too careful I'd definitely pull it off accidentily... ops:

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't know what gun or glue you're using. Over the years I've used 1/2 dozen different guns and 4 types of glue, all stick to pretty much everything.

My guess is that you could hit the PC board with a little sandpaper and that would do the job. Other wise use a piece of Masonite and get a glue gun from a home center store instead of Hobby Lobby ....:wink:

IMO foam tape is not a good idea unless you've found some industrial stuff. Any I've used didn't continue to 'stick' over a period of time

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• poneal

I too agree with Thomas. Hot glue is the way to go. I've had excellent results using it and I have an el cheapo small handheld unit. The cheapest the store had :-). Takes awhile to warm up so that the glue melts but once it's ready, it squirts out nicely, place inductors on top and press down. Hold in place a few seconds and its dry. Sometimes I get a little crazy and lay a horizontal bead of glue over caps and such for added holding strength.

Comment

• joecarrow
              • Apr 2005

Another possibility is that there is some sort of coating on your PCB that is preventing the glue from sticking. This is sometimes an issue on smooth surfaces, but you can fix that. At my job I've made it standard procedure to wipe any surfaces with high purity isopropyl alcohol before adhesives are applied. As Thomas said, roughing up the surface with sandpaper can help too- just make sure you clean it well between the sanding and glueing.
              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Exocer
                • Feb 2006

The PC board is definitely coated with something. I'll try sanding them later today and re-applying glue. I found the glue gun in my kitchen...possibly the smallest glue gun ever made :E

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

Why use PC board? Everything audiophile is point-to-point wired.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I found the glue gun in my kitchen...possibly the smallest glue gun ever made
                    They make tiny ones for female hobby/craft builders. No real man would be caught dead using one of those..... :nono:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Good one, Mark! :T

You want heavy-duty adhesive foam tape? You want foam tape that will hold like it's bolted down? You want foam tape that is used to attach molding and badges to vehicles? 3M. Disclaimer: I work for 3M
                      Example: http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_6052.asp

Comment

• joecarrow
                        • Apr 2005

Hank, I've used the VHB 4951 before (not the same one you linked to), and I found that it really works better when you have two flat parallel surfaces and some clamping force to let it get situated.

Having said that, the stuff works like a charm. As a demonstration, I took a standard red brick and stuck it to the underside of a desk with a 1" square of VHB in the center. The brick stayed up for seven hours before it fell down and scared everyone.

Really though- I haven't seen a situation where that stuff will stick and run-of-the-mill hot glue won't. The main reason I use it is for neatness and control of thickness.
                        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Exocer
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                          Why use PC board? Everything audiophile is point-to-point wired.
                          Because I had two 6"x8" peices around the house. Figured what the heck, its small enough to fit inside of the box so why not use it for the crossover?

Hey, at least I'm trying damn hard to keep the costs down on this project :P

And Thomas, that was a bit...low...lol

Comment

• chasw98
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            They make tiny ones for female hobby/craft builders. No real man would be caught dead using one of those..... :nono:
                            Thomas, you are absolutely right! Real men don't use those. They wire them like this..........

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3760.webp
Views:	5
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	944587

I've been waiting to use this smiley ;zx

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                            Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:51 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

NO WAY..... :B

Those lack the 'handcrafted' look we all desire.... :takecover:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Martyn
                                • Feb 2006

You could try silicone caulking as an alternative to hot-melt glue. I'm sure we've all discovered that silicone sticks to just about everything!

Just set each component into a generous bed of caulk and then go and have a beer while it cures. Silicone has the added advantage of offering some vibration isolation (for those who believe that this sort of thing makes an audible difference). Use cable ties to strap everything down (just to be sure).

Works for me...

Name:	Crossover.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	845787
                                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:52 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Martyn
                                  You could try silicone caulking as an alternative to hot-melt glue. I'm sure we've all discovered that silicone sticks to just about everything!
                                  Unless you buy the special 'green' version of the silicone it's not the best chioice of materials .

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jkrutke
                                    • Dec 2005

If the crossover board is final and permanent, I use epoxy. I also scuff up the components so they stick better. I never had good luck with hot glue, particularly with heavy inductors. I must have been using the female craft store variety.

Name:	ZXT-crossovers-side.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	845788
                                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:52 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                      I never had good luck with hot glue, particularly with heavy inductors. I must have been using the female craft store variety.
                                      There are multiple formulas of hot glue. The darker milky amber colored hot glue provides a particularly tenacious grip. I used it on very large steel laminated inductors weighing several lbs each...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

And the number one reason to use hot glue, caulk, epoxy or whatever is...... (Family Feud Music)

Name:	DSCN3771.webp
Views:	17
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	944588

Name:	DSCN3772.webp
Views:	17
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	944589

Name:	DSCN3775.webp
Views:	18
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	944590

I was working on one of my WWMT's this morning and dropped it! By accident, but you can see where the wire ties alone do not hold good sized or medium sized inductors in place when a sudden shock occurs.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:53 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Exocer
                                          • Feb 2006

chasw98, sorry you dropped your WWMT! That's gotta suck. Hope all is well
                                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:53 Saturday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Oops!...... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

Bondo is my friend. I am listening to them right now. And they sound very, very good.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                • Apr 2006

Zaph,

What's the underside of those boards look like? Looks like a cool way of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"