X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rene D
    • Mar 2006

starting on the center channel today

Well, I FINELY managed to get time off work, and they gave me a week off! Now that i've sat around and did the vulcan mind meld with the couch for a day or so. It's time to go out and get all dusty.

So the center is a RS225s/MDM55/MDT-39 3-way. I spent the better last of last night sitting around with a mesuring tape trying to figure out just how large and what shape I can do that'll sit on the top of my TV. the original plan was to have it built into my entertainment unit I planned on uilding this week, but due to budget and there lack of. I'll just be using up the last of the MDF in the shop to build the center. so far i'm looking at 22" wide 16" tall and 11" deep. Give or take a little. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me.
    They were supossed to match my mains. But money is a little tight right now and picking up more zebra wood isn't going to happy. BUT I am lucky enough to have more Paduk sitting int he shop. So the baffle will match at least.

If I get a chance, i'll get some pictures of my work taken some time this week. with any luck i'll have 90% of the box built today. then I can play with my new plainer jointer I got myself for my birthday.... yes yes I know, I spoil myself. ;x(

• FlashJim
    • Apr 2006

Beautiful speakers!

What jointer did you get? I'm in the market for one myself.
    Jim

Comment

• slayer
      • Dec 2005

Can you give some details of the veneer and finish on those speakers?
      Parasound Halo C2
      Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
      Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
      Oppo BDP103
      Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
      Xbox One
      Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
      Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
      BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
      Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
      Energy Veritas 2.0i center
      CAT Tiburon series side surround
      Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
      Velodyne SMS-1
      Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Rene D
        • Mar 2006

Just a tabletop craftsman 6 1/8th one. I got a SWEET deal on it. normaly $350, but I went by and it was on sale for $229. I'll warn you now. have a friend with you or a cart of some sort. this thing weighs at least 200lbs or so.
        I also get to play witht he new dado blades my wife got my for my B-day today.

Any ways, back to making more dust. got the basic cuts done already. just need to dado some notches in the side panels. and i'll almost be ready to start glueing it all up.

Rene

Comment

• Rene D
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by slayer
          Can you give some details of the veneer and finish on those speakers?
          I got a deal last year on some zebra wood veneer. and the front bafle is paduk. as for the finish it's just Miniwax polyurethane high gloss. I used a foam brush and took my time with it. But they're back over at the shop now for some finishing details.. and a few more coats on poly. but this time I'm useing my sprayer to do the finishing.

This is what it all looks like raw, no finish.

Comment

• FlashJim
            • Apr 2006

That Paduk pops when finished, doesn't it? I'm not into Zebrawood at all, but it looks fantastic on your speakers.

I'm looking at the Rigid 6" at HD. I've read tons of good feedback on it and I get 10% off. I'd love to have an 8", but I can't afford the space in the garage. The bed on it would be 72"+.
            Jim

Comment

• Rene D
              • Mar 2006

Well, It's been a full day of building, I have the basic box in clamps in the shop for the night. Tomorrow will consist of cleaning it up, getting the port ready and a little wood fill in the odd place.

It always amazes me how the first project of the year always seems to have those little flaws/glitches while building. Don't try to calculate the box dementions while trying to add and subtract all the dado's going into it.. .It makes the brain hurt later on during the day.

The new planer/jointer works like a hot knife through butter. I don't know how I managed to go all these years with out one.

Now it's time to run off, get some beer before the wife and guests arive. and put the roast on the spit over the o'll BBQ. I've had it merrinading since early this afternoon.

have a good one guys!

Rene

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Rene D
                Now it's time to run off, get some beer before the wife and guests arive. and put the roast on the spit over the o'll BBQ. I've had it merrinading since early this afternoon.
                have a good one guys!
                Rene
                Enjoy.... :T

We smoked 50 lb's of dry rubbed pork shoulder last weekend, umm, ummm good.... :drool:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rene D
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Enjoy.... :T

We smoked 50 lb's of dry rubbed pork shoulder last weekend, umm, ummm good.... :drool:

MAN, you're fingers must be sore and tired after all that rolling... Wait...OHHH PORK!

I was just out taking a little look at the roast to see how it's doing... need a little baisting with the marinade. but that's about it. Now only if the wife and her cousin will get here with the rest of the dinner. Things will be all good.

But speaking of smoking. i should run off and find some nice meat to smoke while i'm over here and have access to a smoker. it's not like i can forget about it. I'll be out back all day backing the other half of myself in the sun while finishing up this center channel of mine..... thing's turning out to be a LOT larger than I was expecting and wanting. but that's all right. I know for a fact it's going to be monster looking in my small basement suit. I THINK I'm going to have to put a shelf on one side and mount it under the TV on our lower stand. because currently at 21"x13.5" front baffle. it's almost as big as my mains.

happy BBQ'ing!

Rene

Comment

• slayer
                    • Dec 2005

So that is just straight Poly over the Zebra veneer? No stain or die?
                    Parasound Halo C2
                    Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
                    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                    Oppo BDP103
                    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
                    Xbox One
                    Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
                    Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
                    BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
                    Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
                    Energy Veritas 2.0i center
                    CAT Tiburon series side surround
                    Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
                    Velodyne SMS-1
                    Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                      • May 2006

You have the paduk to do the baffle in, so what did you decide to do with the rest of the enclosure for this center channel? Just paint it to match the TV or something?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Based on the results I see with your Paduk baffles, I believe my testing on my Santos Rosewood samples will leave me with a finish I like with just my Minwax Wipe-on Poly. Sweet.
                      Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                      -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Rene D
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                        You have the paduk to do the baffle in, so what did you decide to do with the rest of the enclosure for this center channel? Just paint it to match the TV or something?
                        Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, since the box has turned out to be just as big as my mains. for now it's just going to be black with a lot of high gloss poly on it. I'm mounting it under the TV with a "shelf" on top for the TV to sit. Unless I can get it on the top of the TV with out any problems. I'll have to wait and see once I get it all back home.

[/QUOTE]Based on the results I see with your Paduk baffles, I believe my testing on my Santos Rosewood samples will leave me with a finish I like with just my Minwax Wipe-on Poly. Sweet.[/QUOTE]

If I could find some paduk in veneer form, I'd be a very very happy camper. mind you, a very poor one after all said and done with.

it's been a very very long day is filling in cracks, sanding, Primer, sanding, filling in missed spots...sanding. Joint and putting together the baffle. two days of this in the sun has left me almost as red as the paduk! 8O
                        After that I did a quick dinner for the wife and I. Then it was off back to work up on the patio. Wet sanding my mains that I finished some detail work on this afternoon. With any luck tomorrow i'll be putting a few coats of poly on the mains again. and the center channel. I just need to remind myself to put a bend in the port before I glue it into place... other with there will be some bad bad words said at the end of the day.

any one want to help clean the house a little while I get these speakers finished?. I mean I COULD do it between coats of poly.....buuuuut

Rene

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"