X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigJim_inFLA
    • Jun 2006

Building Sonosub - driver question.

I'm new to this forum and want to say thanks for all the great information.

I've been bitten by the DIY bug and want to build a sono sub. I want to model it after the ported 20" 270L unit b
    uilt by Chasw98 and am trying to decide on a driver. I've seen lots of good things about the RL-p15 and may get one, but I am also interested in the Ascendant Audio Arsenal 15. Has anyone used one of these yet? If so how did you like it? Would this be a good alternative to the RL-p15 for this type of sub? I will be using a Behringer EP2500 to power it.

Info on the Ascendant driver here:

Thanks for any help, I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get started.

Jim
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

Would this be a good alternative to the RL-p15 for this type of sub?
    Simply put, it's not as capable. The only alternative I would consider to the RLp15 at this point is the TC 2000 single voice coil 15" driver, but it costs a bit more.

Comment

• soho54
      • Dec 2005

TC-2000 SVC=$334 shipped
      RLp15 D4=$314 shipped
      If anyone is wondering. I was.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ascendant shut down their forum shortly after the launch of their new products. (They stated attending to questions on the forum took too much time from business operations).

That action crippled communications about the products. They maybe good, they maybe bad, we just don't know. ...

In addition the new products aren't price competitive with offerings from other suppliers.

Not an effective way to run a business IMO....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Where in Florida are you located?

Chuck

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
            • Jun 2006

Thanks. It looks like I will be going with the RL-p15. I'll let you know how the build goes, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

Chuck, I'm in Fort Myers.

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BigJim_inFLA
              Thanks. It looks like I will be going with the RL-p15. I'll let you know how the build goes, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

Chuck, I'm in Fort Myers.
              Alright, I built a sonosub with the RL-p15 also. It works very well. I am just north of Fort Lauderdale.

Comment

• palmtree
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by soho54
                TC-2000 SVC=$334 shipped
                RLp15 D4=$314 shipped
                If anyone is wondering. I was.
                I was wondering--thanks

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Yeah, but if you buy two RL-P15, the price drops $30/ea. Ooooooh Yeah!
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• soho54
                    • Dec 2005

Please do not tempt us. :B

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Sorry, can't do.
                      But if it makes you feel any better, it all comes back full circle.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                        • Jun 2006

WOW!!! My RL-p15 arrived today and it is immense! I was expecting a large driver but this is even more than I thought. I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's that I use for stereo audio and they have 15" woofers, but I don't think the RL-p15 would even fit in those cabinets. I can't wait to hear this thing, or should I say feel it! It's almost seems a shame to mount it downfiring and not get to look at it in action.

Comment

• chasw98
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Pretty cool sight to behold isn't it? Be careful when you mount it. I would hate to drop or put your hand or knee through the cone.

Chuck :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

WOW!!! My RL-p15 arrived today and it is immense! I was expecting a large driver but this is even more than I thought.
                            Welcome to the world of drivers designed and built for 'real' men....:B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nick77
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Welcome to the world of drivers designed and built for 'real' men....:B
                              They are a sight to behold! :B
                              Attached Files

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                • Jun 2006

Well I cannot get 20" sonotube locally, but I can get a great deal on some 22". Will that be ok or should I drop down to 18"? The 22" was a special order that got cancelled and they will sell me a 20 foot tube cut to whatever lengths I want for half price. I might just need to build 2 of these right off to use up some of the extra. Anyone else in SWFLA want some 22" tube?

Comment

• chasw98
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Well I cannot get 20" sonotube locally, but I can get a great deal on some 22". Will that be ok or should I drop down to 18"? The 22" was a special order that got cancelled and they will sell me a 20 foot tube cut to whatever lengths I want for half price. I might just need to build 2 of these right off to use up some of the extra. Anyone else in SWFLA want some 22" tube?
                                  Jim:
                                  I am just across the state and have an eight foot piece of 20 inch sitting on my porch doing nothing. I'd let it go cheap. Let me know. UPS to you might work, I don't know.

Chuck

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                    • Jun 2006

Chuck,

That might work. How far are you from West Palm Beach? I work over there once or twice a week, might be able to fit that in my truck and save the shipping.

Jim

Comment

• chasw98
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Chuck,

That might work. How far are you from West Palm Beach? I work over there once or twice a week, might be able to fit that in my truck and save the shipping.

Jim
                                      I work at the corner of I-595 and I-95. I live about 5 miles off the sawgrass expressway. The piece I have is 8 feet long. You can have it all or I can cut it for you. PM me for details.

Chuck

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                        • Jun 2006

Ok another question. I'm playing around with some of the numbers in Unibox and I want to be sure I'm doing things right. When I put in the port diameter that should be the ID of the port correct? I was lucky enough to find a peice of discarded 6" green PVC drain pipe, seems to be a popular choice for port tubes, but it's really only 5.75" ID. That makes a 3" difference in port length according to Unibox. Also when calculating Vb lost to the port I should calculate port volume using the OD of the port tube? And while we're at it is the ID of 20" sonotube really 20" or is that an OD measurement? I think next time I should try to figure this stuff out before midnight, and before the beers.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                          • May 2006

Ok another question. I'm playing around with some of the numbers in Unibox and I want to be sure I'm doing things right. When I put in the port diameter that should be the ID of the port correct?
                                          ID is correct!

Also when calculating Vb lost to the port I should calculate port volume using the OD of the port tube? And while we're at it is the ID of 20" sonotube really 20" or is that an OD measurement?
                                          OD is the way to go this time.

I think next time I should try to figure this stuff out before midnight, and before the beers.
                                          Well, up to you... It might help, though!

It is not even 10PM here, yet. I am good to go. :T
                                          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I was lucky enough to find a peice of discarded 6" green PVC drain pipe, seems to be a popular choice for port tubes, but it's really only 5.75" ID. That makes a 3" difference in port length according to Unibox.
                                            Sounds about right. We use the green stuff because it's the only pipe that fits the 6" AeroPort flares

Also when calculating Vb lost to the port I should calculate port volume using the OD of the port tube? And while we're at it is the ID of 20" sonotube really 20" or is that an OD measurement?
                                            The computer programs only generate a net volume. When you build you make an enclosure that's the gross volume. This includes the volume displaced by the port, the driver and anything else inside the tube. Don't forget to account for the volume occupied by the endcaps

The listed dimensions for concrete tube are ID not OD. http://www.sonotube.com/docs/CSISpecs_Round.doc

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                              • Jun 2006

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I've been away for a few days, but now I'm home and ready to work on this sub. I won't be able to get my sonotube til the end of the week. Is the 20" ID an accurate measure? I'd like to start routing out my endcaps but I'm not sure if I should wait for the tube and get a measurement first. I don't want them to be too loose or too big. A 2 x 4 really isn't 2" x 4" is 20" tube really 20"? Maybe I'll just try and wait, but patience is not one of my strong suits.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Cut the endcaps when you have your tube in hand, and not before....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                                  • Jun 2006

Just wanted to say thanks to all who have helped in this thread and in others that I have read with great interest. Especially to Chuck who was gracious enough to sell me some of his extra sonotube and give me a demonstration of his sub, very nice setup! After a busy weekend I've got mine all together. I haven't painted or covered it yet but otherwise it is complete and I'll be testing shortly. I'll let you know how it sounds.
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• chasw98
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Jim, you were quick with that one. Pick up on Friday, Sub on Monday! Cool, have you set it up and turned it on yet?

Chuck

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                      • Aug 2005

Nicely done :T The Brotherhood becomes one disciple stronger

If you don't mind me asking, what was your previous sub?

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                                        • Jun 2006

Jim, you were quick with that one. Pick up on Friday, Sub on Monday! Cool, have you set it up and turned it on yet?

Chuck
                                                        Yes I have! I'm annoying my neighbors as we speak. It sounds incredible! I had all my parts ready I was just waiting for the tube on Friday. Saturday I did all the routing, Sunday I installed the port tube and acoustic foam. Today I buttoned it all up. Now I just have to get out the mic and EQ it.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your previous sub?
                                                        Thanks Steve. I did not have a sub previous to this. I only had 2 channel stereo and decided to do HT right the first time. I've heard others with subs and wasn't blown away, I figured this would do it and it does.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                          • Aug 2005

I did not have a sub previous to this. I only had 2 channel stereo and decided to do HT right the first time.
                                                          Lol, same thing with JonW - now you guys are spoiled. I don't know how often you frequent the movie theater, but you'll soon find the bass reproduction in just about all will be largely disappointing now.

Comment

• JonW
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                                                            Lol, same thing with JonW - now you guys are spoiled.
                                                            :later:

Yeah, I went from never having a sub to this massive, 7 foot tall one. I figured do it once and do it right. But that meant I didn’t really know what to expect. When I started using it, the house was vibrating, but I didn’t know if that was the correct amount of vibration. I’ve read so many posts (on other forums) of people buying a $400 sub and claiming it crumbled their California earthquake-proof house down to its very foundation. And then took out the rest of the neighborhood. So I didn’t know if things were right or not. Steve stopped by, had a listen, and said it’s good to go.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                              • Aug 2005

My 10" sub CAUSED the Indonesian earthquake in 2004......while I was using it in Indiana.....you guys who have duals must be CRAZY!!!

-or how about-

While watching movie XYZ last night with my new 12" sub, I swear I cracked my house's foundation.......and my listening room is on the third floor.......way better than my previous 10" sub........this is truly ultimate bass!!!

-and my all time favorite-

My Super Duper 12" sub was pounding so loud I was literally getting punched in the chest by the bass.....the next morning I had bruises......way better than my previous 12" sub......nobody could ever need more than one of these!!!

:roll:

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

Now what would you boys do with an IB consisting of 4 Avalanche 18 inchers?

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                  • Aug 2005

Personally, I'd take them out of the baffle and build four LLTs, but that's just me. And if I run across one more, well, that IS what I will do.

But I know Kingdaddy and Jesse are using 4 Avalanche 18s in an IB....I think there is someone else too, I forget who - cecca maybe? I think noah katz has 3? And someone here is using 2 in dual sealed enclosures. I'm trying to keep tabs on them all "just in case" :twisted:

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah, I would love to find a pair of them for sale at a reasonable price.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2006

Now that this is finished, and because it went so well, I was thinking what should be my next project? I could use a center channel....or maybe some rear surrounds...something small...hmmmm. Modula MT's sound like a good place to go from here. This could be the beginning of something...

Comment

• nick77
                                                                        • Apr 2006

Nice work Jim, whats your final measurments? It looks a little more stout than the rest of us at approx 56" of sonotube.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006

Nice work Jim, whats your final measurments? It looks a little more stout than the rest of us at approx 56" of sonotube.
                                                                          Mine is actually 56" tall in total, it's only 48" of tube. It is virtually identical to Chuck's, I used all his measurement to build mine. I haven't played around with room placement or EQ much yet. I'm in an apartment for the next 3 weeks so I'll set it up right after the move. I did run a sweep with RoomEQ and it shows a bit of a dip at 28hz and another at 47hz, but nothing that can't be fixed with the EQ. I did listen to the 1812 overture today while the other tenants were out, the cannon blasts at the end were impressive. I think I'll try Master and Commander tomorrow. :B

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 336

geezus....the sonotubes are overtaking the country!!

Steve, your creation is like the clap...it is spreading everywhere...LMAO!
                                                                            My simple HT setup
                                                                            4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"