X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnL
    • Dec 2004

Dipole Excursion/Power Handling

I don't believe I've ever seen a formula for this, someone please point me in the right direction kindly if I missed something obvious. I know maximum power handling for OB speakers are based on xmax rather than thermal. How do you figure how many watts it takes to push a speaker to xmax at a given frequency? Particulary if adding some EQ to lift the bottom end up, it'd be nice to know how much power gets you there. I've seen the cone excursion graphs in unibox, could I set it for a sealed box with a very low Q and figure it out like that? I don't think Thorsten's or Linkwitz's spreadsheet gives anything like that.

John
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've seen the cone excursion graphs in unibox, could I set it for a sealed box with a very low Q and figure it out like that?
    Use the largest box setting possible, use the driver's Qts as the Qtc and you're good to go..... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
      • Aug 2001

Yeah, that'll give you a good idea of excursion based on input power/frequency. Just remember to disregard the output predictions.

Comment

• Davey
        • Jan 2003

Jack,

SL's spreadsheet will compute all the values you're interested in.

As mentioned by Thomas just set the box size to some large number....say 10,000 liters and you'll be set.

Davey.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"