X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

RS90, eh?

It may be that Dayton has a driver for my HT now! If they sneak a good neo 3/4" tweeter into the line, I'll be set. And this thing looks GOOD for the HT - I'm thinking of doing a black velvet wrap on the boxes to cut light reflection already... stealth look all the way.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Looks good to me too. Let's see the price. If the price/inch is less than a big BG ribbon, it's a no-brainer for the midrange of a Saint-Saƫns on steroids.

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

Um, what's wrong with the neo they already have - ND20? At $5 it's likely a perfect match to the "RS90". Okay, so it's not an 'RS', but look at Zaphs measurements - above 4k or so it's about as good as any budget tweeter out there.

The "RS90" doesn't actually look to be quite as drool-worthy as I was expecting. Basically a better B3N - not that this is bad, but still awfully limited in extension and output. Great for computer monitors, but I'm not sure it has the output capability for any 'real' HT duties.

If I ever return to a more conventional Unity arrangement with 4 mids though, I may be all over it. I have 4xB3N to prototype with, but the RS90 looks to be a nice step up.

The line array idea is cool too, although even at $15 each paired with the $5 neos it still adds up quick. Probably looking at 16 mids and 32 tweets per side for ~$400/side.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Chris,

Has any info. been posted on this driver other than what John Krutke has posted?

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dwk
          The line array idea is cool too, although even at $15 each paired with the $5 neos it still adds up quick. Probably looking at 16 mids and 32 tweets per side for ~$400/side.
          You're going to need more than 16 mids per side for any kind of decent line array with a driver of that size. Plus you're going to be very limited in the bass department. A good 5-6" driver would be a much better choice.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Brian: haven't seen any

dwk: it forces a particularly high crossover point - not bad, but I'd like a bit more room to wiggle.

Regarding sensitivity, yes it's low. That's to be expected in a 3" driver of this type I think. I don't want a line, but I also have very limited space in which I can put my speakers. I think this also opens up some very interesting options for speakers desigened for SAF and not AAF I had already been giving the B3S some very serious consideration for the HT (as a mid) and this jumps right into that option slot.

Might also be interesting in a horn, for those so inclined.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• AJINFLA
              • Mar 2005

The RS90's don't appear to meet my needs, so I ordered a pair of these http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...10900&pid=2145
              tested here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...48&postcount=1
              The frames make them line array friendly - if that's your thing. Prrice is right too.

cheers,

AJ
              Manufacturer

Comment

• dwk
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                You're going to need more than 16 mids per side for any kind of decent line array with a driver of that size. Plus you're going to be very limited in the bass department. A good 5-6" driver would be a much better choice.
                Well, I was throwing out a design that would replace an RD-50, and assuming they're about 3", that give a 48" line. I'm also assuming that you'd have a line of 8-10" midbass/woofers (or even 12's like the RS12HF) and cross at 2-300, and then over to the tweets as high as possible - 3.5-4k maybe based on a 3" c-t-c. In this context, I think it's a workable arrangement.
                I'm not a big line array guy (although I stil have a pair of Carver 60" planars gathering dust), so I'm not sure whether this would be more interesting than a more conventional approach.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"