X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Help me choose which center to build..

With the PE tent sale coming up, I need to spend some money to take advantage. Right? right. I am currently without a center channel and would like to build one of the ones in the "Missions accomplished" section, but am not sure which. I've skimmed most of those threads but am still unsure. I believe the Modula MTM center is over my budget, but the 2 Dayton RS WMTW models, Nat P and Modula MT seem like 4 good candidates. I'm not an audiophile or anything near it, so I'm certain the quality of the sound from any of these will blow me away. I'm excited to build something that will be of (hopefully) such high quality. To note, probably 80% of listening will be done within 30*, rarely over 45*.

Concerns

--I will either place this on top of my tv (preferred horizontally.. ops: ) or horizontally on a shelf of the tv stand beneath the 27" tv. If the latter is used, the max height is about 10". I feel like this would mean the speaker should slant upward. Wouldn't either of these locations change the required BSC, since the television screen effectively becomes an extension of the baffle...right? wrong? does it matter?

--I have a CRT. I will require some shielding, but may get away with an unshielded tweeter (on top of tv) or unshielded woofers (beneath tv), assuming typical configurations. Maybe.

--I will soon be building left & right mains with the Seas 27TDFC. Could this be dropped into any of these with unmodified xovers, or should I just stick with the assigned tweets?

Suggestions, tips, criticisms, etc. are expected :T
    Last edited by cobbpa; 17 June 2006, 09:57 Saturday.
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
    --I will either place this on top of my tv (preferred horizontally.. ops: ) or horizontally on a shelf of the tv stand beneath the 27" tv. If the latter is used, the max height is about 10". I feel like this would mean the speaker should slant upward. Wouldn't either of these locations change the required BSC, since the television screen effectively becomes an extension of the baffle...right? wrong? does it matter?
    If you do the WMTW you could set the TV on the center

--I have a CRT. I will require some shielding, but may get away with an unshielded tweeter (on top of tv) or unshielded woofers (beneath tv), assuming typical configurations. Maybe.
    According to Jon the shielded version of the tweeter will work with either Curt or Dennis' xover do to the higher point so you should be fine.

--I will soon be building left & right mains with the Seas 27TDFC. Could this be dropped into any of these with unmodified xovers, or should I just stick with the assigned tweets?
    Stick with the assigned tweeter, the xover is completely different for the RS28

Of the four designs the only way you can go wrong is with trying to use the NatP horizontally. It just wasn't designed this way.
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Here's one more option...

With the PE tent sale saturday, I need to spend some money to take advantage. Right? right. I am currently without a center channel and would like to build one of the ones in the "Missions accomplished" section, but am not sure which. I've skimmed most of those threads but am still unsure. I believe the Modula MTM center is over my budget, but the 2 Dayton RS WMTW models, Nat P and Modula MT seem like 4 good candidates. I'm not an audiophile or anything near it, so I'm certain the quality of the sound from any of these will blow me away. I'm excited to build something that will be of (hopefully) such high quality. To note, probably 80% of listening will be done within 30*, rarely over 45*.

Concerns

Suggestions, tips, criticisms, etc. are expected :T
      I agree completely with Dawaro's recommendation of the WMTW center if it'll work. I'm a real fanboy of that design. However, if it doesn't, here's a center I built my son based on CJD's MTM design that does fit your design goals perfectly.It sounds very good and he is extremely pleased with it.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Dotay
        • Oct 2004

With the PE tent sale saturday, I need to spend some money to take advantage.
        Where can I get more information on this? I looked on PE's site and it says the tent sale is July 15th.

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

It is July 15th.

Comment

• cobbpa
            • Apr 2005

Woops..my mistake...it isn't for a month. Didn't mean to scare anyone with that. I'm glad I mis-read that actually...gives me some time to consider options

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"