X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Tape-ease or Oakwood Veneers?

I am getting samples from both, just wanted to hear if anyone had a preference or opinions about their products. Thanks!
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

Well, I have received samples from TapeEase, and ordered from them on Wednesday.

I will say there does not seem to be an issue with the quality of their products, based on the samples I got.

I ordered the only overstock special they had that was >43" in the cross-grain direction. I will also say that their information management seems rather poor, based on my experience.

Their website indicated they had both a flat cut walnut in "2-ply", and a 10-mil paper backed quarter sawn white oak, which were both large enough in the cross-grain dimension. That did not seem to be correct. Only the white oak was available when I ordered.

Additionally, when they emailed me my order details (I ordered by phone), it was a scan-to-.pdf of my invoice, with no tracking number (UPS Ground). I could ask for the tracking number, but I guess I just don't care enough. It will be here eventually, and I am always home during the M-F UPS delivery window.

None of this would prevent me from ordering from them again, however.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

I received some samples from Tapeease, but they were poorly marked. I got several samples of figured maple, and telling what was what was a bit difficult. In fact I ordered a second set of samples just to make sure of what I might be ordering. All of the veneer sent like you said looked very good, quality of the samples didn't seem an issue.

My interest in Oakwood is very much because of the tapeease website 'problems' - Oakwood's site looks much more professional and easy to use, and they have a money back gaurantee w/o restocking fees. I called and they said they are moving facilities right now, so I have to wait until early July for my samples from them. They have a 3 sample limit but stretched it to 4 for me

Thanks for the information Jonathan.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

Originally posted by speakerguy
        I called and they said they are moving facilities right now, so I have to wait until early July for my samples from them. They have a 3 sample limit but stretched it to 4 for me
        Yeah, the move is why they told me they could not locate the walnut sheet I was interested in.

And I guess I should have said that my Aunt got some samples, as when I asked for samples they did not email me back letting me know of their 3 sample limit, they just picked 3 samples from each of the lists I sent (~7 species that were <$90 per 4'X8' sheet, and ~8 species that were ~$200 per sheet).

If they would have asked, I would have said to send 2 samples, one from each list. They did not enclude either of the two I was most interested in in what they sent. So my Aunt developed this sudden urge to get samples of the two I was most interested in. So now I have 8 samples.

I mean... I have 6, and my Aunt has 2.
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Don't worry, my sample order totally made up for them shafting you. I wonder how large of the $500/sheet quilted maple sample they are going to send me? Or the premium fiddleback tiger maple you have to request a quote for? I'm glad my uncle is paying for this speaker and not me. It's getting pricey.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"