• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

what thickness glass should i use?

hi all,

rack design nearing completion.

if using glass shelves, what thickness / type of glass do you guys recommend? heaviest individual item on a shelf will be 36kg

thanks

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Ten 99
    • Apr 2004

If you use glass, you'll definitely want to get tempered glass. 1/4" thick should be fine, but for that heavier one, I would get 3/8" perhaps just for the peace of mind.

By the way, if you do use glass, it's best to cut templates out of something like 1/4" MDF or HDF (hardboard) to take to the glazier (glass place). Pick some way for them to finish the edges too. They first have to cut the glass, and then temper the glass. After it's tempered, it can not be cut. Tempering the glass will make it stronger and flexible. It can still shatter, but not as easily. By the way, tempered glass isn't dirt cheap, but it is going to cost you more than just standard glass. It's worth it if you go that route.

Comment

• slayer
      • Dec 2005

I have 5 glass shelves in my custom rack. I used 1/4" tempered glass with the edges beveled & polished. Tempered is the key. Just make sure you support them well if you plan on putting a lot of weight on them. My supports run the length of the side walls rather than 4 small support points. It spreads out the pressure. Think of it like walking on snow. Would you rather be wearing snow shoes or high heels? I have had more than 50lbs on a shelf before without problems. Although I was a bit nervous.
      If you have any heavy amps, use 1/2" for those shelves.
      Parasound Halo C2
      Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
      Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
      Oppo BDP103
      Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
      Xbox One
      Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
      Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
      BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
      Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
      Energy Veritas 2.0i center
      CAT Tiburon series side surround
      Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
      Velodyne SMS-1
      Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

deleted as it was posted twice by accident
        Last edited by alpina; 12 June 2006, 02:55 Monday. Reason: accidental post
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

i was thinking of designing a 3 legged stand - 2 at front and 1 at rear.

you guys are worrying me

julie

Comment

• slayer
            • Dec 2005

With only 3 suuports, just go thick on the shelves. Or design supports that run from leg to leg, then the glass sits on that.
            Parasound Halo C2
            Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
            Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
            Oppo BDP103
            Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
            Xbox One
            Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
            Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
            BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
            Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
            Energy Veritas 2.0i center
            CAT Tiburon series side surround
            Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
            Velodyne SMS-1
            Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Julie, if your heaviest component is 80 pounds then I'd recommend going with a 3/8 thick piece of tempered glass - at least for that shelf.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• alpina
                • Nov 2005

looks like 10mm clear tempered glass allround

many thanks all

julie

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"