X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kramskoi
    • Jan 2006

f6 bandwidth defined?

how do we define f6 bandwidth in sealed and vented subwoofers?
    ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
    M. Boutte HT
    3x15" @ 10 Hz
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but in general I think you can factor in the following:
    A vented enclosure acts as a 4th order HP accoustic filter (24dB), add a rumble filter for an additional 2nd order HP (12dB) & you have a 36dB slope which is rather substantial when compared to the more gradual 2nd order HP properties of a sealed box. Comparing the two would show the vented box having a much narrower bandwidth due the faster rate of roll off.
    -Ward
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• kramskoi
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Marzen
      I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but in general I think you can factor in the following:
      A vented enclosure acts as a 4th order HP accoustic filter (24dB), add a rumble filter for an additional 2nd order HP (12dB) & you have a 36dB slope which is rather substantial when compared to the more gradual 2nd order HP properties of a sealed box. Comparing the two would show the vented box having a much narrower bandwidth due the faster rate of roll off.
      -Ward

Thanks for the reply...i should clarify. I'm wondering whether it (F6 or -6dB point) is measured from Fb or the highest peak in the frequency response.
      ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
      M. Boutte HT
      3x15" @ 10 Hz

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

I always thought it was defined relative to the nominal passband sensitivity.

Comment

• Marzen
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by speakerguy
          I always thought it was defined relative to the nominal passband sensitivity.
          Ditto, I've been using an averaged passband level for reference.
          Why, are you looking at a design with a large hump at the knee like with a super boom box alignment with a Q >1.2?
          -Ward
          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"