X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Effective path difference dipole question

When calculating the effective path difference for a dipole do you take into account the distance from the center of the woofer front to the center of the woofer back, or do you measure from the edge of the woofer? Logically I would think it would be the center but I want to make sure before I finalize my dipole plans and make them bigger than I need to.

Also, seeing how the Orions have a woofer facing front and a woofer facing back, is this to guarantee the cancellations for the woofers are identical? Asthetically, I would rather have them both facing the front and flush with the front baffle. Any negative effects with this?

Thanks!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I usually do it center to center.

For the Orions, the facing in opposite directions is for cancellation of even order distortion, which is high in many drivers. In others, like some Accuton and Aurasound models with very symmetric motors, this doesn't buy you anything.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the input, Jon.

My dipoles will be using dual Dayton RS315HF woofers and I would like to have them both flush with the front baffle, facing toward the listening position. Do you feel the Dayton RS315HF has a "symmetrical enough" motor to constitute this alignment? Also, with this kind of alignment couldn't one take the subs up higher in frequency, due to not being recessed back in the baffle? I forget what terminology Linkwitz used on his site for this, but so bear with me :P

Comment

• Davey
        • Jan 2003

When you "shift" the woofers to flush mount on the front panel you're taking away any symmetry the system might have had. You're creating a "U"-frame baffle vice a more traditional "H"-frame baffle. The polar pattern will begin to look cardioid vice the "typical" dipole pattern. Both woofers mounted in the same direction will accentuate this asymmetry even further. However, there are conflicting views on whether these trade-offs are worth it or not.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• joecarrow
          • Apr 2005

I believe he called it a "cavity resonance", and it is caused by the enclosed mass of air between the driver and the front and back of the "H" made by the baffle.

I would expect your woofers to be able to go higher if your baffle is wider and shallower- not like a big canyon behind the woofer.
          -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"