X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtt
    • Feb 2006

Wool Felt Pad Recommendations

I'm in the process of building a set of 4 RL-p15 d2 subwoofers (6.5 cubic feet, ported with 6" aeroports and tuned to 18hz) and was wondering if using felt pad in them would be appropriate (and why) or if using a cheap acoustical foam would be just as good.

If the felt is the way to go which SAE Grade No./Thickness should I look at? (Looking on McMaster-Carr website) and approximately how many square feet per subwoofer should I use?

Thank you.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Wool felt gasket material is quite good and VERY expensive. You'll get equally good results using batts of plain old fiberglass insulation from the local home center store...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jtt
      • Feb 2006

I'm not as worried about the cost. Which grade felt should I be looking at?

Also has anyone tried the Auralex mineral fiber product?
      Auralex Acoustics is the industry leader in acoustical treatment products, including Studiofoam, bass traps, diffusors, panels, sound barriers, construction materials, & more.

It might be easier to deal with then fiberglass installation.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Don't know anyone who's used that for anything. It reminds me of the compressed (aka semi-rigid) fiberglass now popular of making bass traps.

You can use the regular old acoustic foam sold by PE. The thicker stuff works fine....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mark Seaton
          • Aug 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Don't know anyone who's used that for anything. It reminds me of the compressed (aka semi-rigid) fiberglass now popular of making bass traps.
          Same stuff. It's a lot more dense than the standard pink, fluffy fiberglass. You might be able to get away with using less of it than fiberglass, but I don't think (don't know for sure) it would work as well or any better than standard fiberglass.

Just grab some of the cheap face masks and some longer cuff gloves when packing it in.
          Mark Seaton
          "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• noah katz
            • Dec 2005

The purpose of stuffing a sub is to increase the effective volume and absorb higher freq.

Rigid fiberglass is worse on both counts.
            ------------------------------
            Noah

Comment

• jtt
              • Feb 2006

If I use loose fiberglass do I need to worry about it getting shot out of the port? I figured wool felt would be more expensive, but less issues to deal with come install time.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"