A question about Driver sensitivity in 2-way systems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

A question about Driver sensitivity in 2-way systems.

Hey,
    I was wondering if for example, Driver A produces 88db/watt/1meter and Driver B produces 85db/watt/1meter, If Driver A were installed in a 2-way system would the overall sensitivity of the system be roughly somewhere close to 88db/watt/meter? If Driver A and B were equal in all areas except sensitivity,would installing either of these drivers into the same system yield similar sensitivities?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If Driver A were installed in a 2-way system would the overall sensitivity of the system be roughly somewhere close to 88db/watt/meter?
    Yes, usually the sensitivity of the woofer is the sensitivity of the system.
    If Driver A and B were equal in all areas except sensitivity,would installing either of these drivers into the same system yield similar sensitivities?
    No because of the info I posted above.

BTW below is the answer to your AVS questions about the Modula MTM and TM.

Might want to build the NatalieP. It's the same drivers and cabinet as the Modula MTM but with a less expensive and less complicated crossover.

The primary difference between building the MTM and TM is the hole for the second woofer

You can use the Sd for any 7' driver for that of the RS180. And you don't need to do much modeling since that's already been done for all the plans that are sticky threads.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Don't forget the baffle step -- usually somewhere between 3 and 6 dB. If the crossover includes a full 6dB of baffle step, the sensitivity in a system will be A 82dB and B 79dB.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oops you're right, my brain just isn't tracking that accurately today, probably the Imitrex... :roll:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
          • Feb 2006

Thanks a lot for that info, I am learning.
          The natalie P seems right up my alley at this point.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"