X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprtfan
    • May 2006

Adire Apex Kit

Has anyone listened to or put together this kit? I'm new to DIY and wanted to start with a something small to get some experience but thought I might as well go for it and build something really nice. I was pointed to this by someone that built one of Adire cheaper setups and has been happy with it.
    I guess my questions are, does this look like a solid design? With the speaker in the back of the cabinet could it cause some room placement problems? (I have never seen this before and have had problems with some Martin Logan speakers in the past do to sound coming from the back of the speaker) I have never listened to a ribbon tweater before. Would they have a similar sound to an electrostat? Should I avoid buying a ribbon tweater until I have had a chance to listen to one? Thanks for the help and please let me know if there would be better/similar options to look into.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

After testing them we're not fans of the Extremis drivers. Jon's testing showed considerably higher levels of distortion than the plots Adire posts.

The ambient tweeter just adds a bit of 'air' with the treble bouncing off the rear walls. Not a new concept by any stretch of the imagination.

Ribbon tweeters are absolutely wonderful, and are very delicate. Blowing on them to hard can trash the element.

If you're used to Martin Logans, you may find that from the midbass up to the tweeter the Apex won't have the SQ you're used to. The ribbon will sound better than ML's, since all electrostatics roll-off the top-end, where as a true ribbon goes very high.

My take on the bulk of the designs from Adire is that they're designed to play loud, and sacrifice refinement and detail in doing so. So they're a good match for mid-fi gear that tends to be harsh...

Now this is just my take on the situation. I know other's will have strong feelings in favor of them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sprtfan
      • May 2006

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm not in a rush to build anything since I have some speakers I'm pretty happy with and will keep reading up on stuff until I find a good fit.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"