Where do you guys get black screws for mounting drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Where do you guys get black screws for mounting drivers?

OK, this is probably the least important question I've ever asked here, but if you're bored enough to click on this thread... :P

I went to Ace hardware and got screws for mounting my RS drivers to the cabinet front baffle. Got what I need. But they're all silvery color. Do you folks just use these or do you make any effort to get black ones? And where do you get them from? I'll stick with what I've got. But I was curious...
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

parts express is where I bought mine #6

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If there's a real hardware store near you (as opposed to TrueValue or Ace) check them. You're looking for black oxide screws. Ace or TrueValue usually have black oxide machine screws if you're using T-nuts or threaded inserts.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• EdL
        • Apr 2005

...and if you don't find a local source for suitable black oxide screws, set the points of otherwise suitable (except color) screws into a wood block. The block serves as a holder while the heads are spray painted. I know the paint comes off under drive pressure. This is a plan "B" excercise and they can be touched up.
        Ed

Comment

• SteveCallas
          • Aug 2005

ACE should sell black, coarse thread, drywall screws - come in something like 1lb and 5lb boxes.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Drywall screws work just fine too. I believe they are black and oxidized as well They look identical to what Keith linked to.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
              Drywall screws work just fine too. I believe they are black and oxidized as well They look identical to what Keith linked to.
              Yes they do. The pan head screws PE sells look much better IMO...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

I second the black panhead screws that PE (or anyone else) has. I always grab some when I place a speaker order.

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

How about T-nuts and machine Hex head bolts?
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JonW
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas. :T

Comment

• Paul W
                      • Oct 2004

If you can't find what you want in black...

Take the common zinc plated hardware outdoors for a 1 minute bath in muratic acid. This won't remove the plated finish, but it will etch it enough to take spray paint on the head. Don't inhale the fumes.
                      Paul

Comment

• jkrutke
                        • Dec 2005

I get all my fasteners from Mcmaster.com. The finish and quality of McMaster black screws is far better than the ones from PE. McMaster's is a smooth, shiny black, rather than the coarse, rough black of PE. Plus, McMaster has #4 screws, occasionally needed for some tweeters and small drivers. Part # 90935A149 for #6 screws.

For a lot of drivers I use socket head cap screws from McMaster, along with hurricane nuts from PE. McMaster #91251A199 with PE #081-1080 works for many drivers on a 3/4" baffle. There are also some interesting head options, such as flange socket, low cut, button, torx, etc.

You've got to admit, nice fasteners can really add to the nice looks of a project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZXT-bafflecloseup.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	845704
                        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:11 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• hamm
                          • Dec 2005

^ Those look good John. I'll have to pick those up when i start my first project

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the further info. Here are some thoughts I had...

The Parts Express screws look a little bumpy and coarse. So maybe skip those because this is all about appearance. I've got appropriate screws already, but they're not black.

I called Fastenal- the best place I can think of for this sort of thing- and they didn't quite have the right ones. For black oxide pan head screws, they have no #6's and for #10 the longest they have is 1".

Black drywall screws don't work because under the head it's tapered. So it doesn't sit flush in the driver mounting hole.

T-nuts and the hex head screws like in jkrutke's photo, on the woofer, do look nice. I'd have to get the correct T-nut sizes and then the right screws. Might be tough to do just by mail order. There's something to be said for bringing the driver to the store and test fitting things.

I'm mounting an RS28a tweeter, which looks to take #6. And the RS180 woofer takes a #10. My front baffle is 2 layers of baltic birch. So I probably want 6- 1.5" and 10- 1.5" screws, I'd think.

Looks like McMaster-Carr has black oxide pan head sheet metal screws. 6- 1.5" is $10.59 for a pack of 100 and 10- 1.5" is $5.52 for a pack of 50. Maybe that's the best way to go. If these are the right sizes and if sheet metal screws will work OK.

Comment

• opt-e
                              • Nov 2004

Jon: FWIW, I'm using #8 for my RS28A.

Comment

• JonW
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by opt-e
                                Jon: FWIW, I'm using #8 for my RS28A.
                                Do those fit? I tried putting a #8 drywall screw in the holes and it didn't fit. But I didn't try threading the screw down. Is that what you did?

Comment

• opt-e
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonW
                                  Do those fit? I tried putting a #8 drywall screw in the holes and it didn't fit. But I didn't try threading the screw down. Is that what you did?
                                  Yeah, that's what I did. I'm using wood screws. Some of them actually fit without having to thread them down.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                    • Apr 2006

could the different finish be because one is anodized and the other black oxide? i saw somewhere someone was selling black anodized screws

Comment

• JonW
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

I tried it last night and, sure enough, I was able to thread a #8 screw into the RS28a holes.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"