X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A Reef Scene
    • Apr 2006

Speaker building ?

What would be better? A Set up of tmw, tmww or wtmw? Or any other combo of speakers like 2 mids 1 tweeter and 2 woofers.
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Thats kind of like asking "What's better, a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry?". It all depends upon what you are trying to accomplish. IMHO, the way you arrange drivers in a speaker is not as dependent on quality as the overall design of the speaker system. There are MT's with a sub that can sound as good or better or worse than WWMT. You have to factor in your listening preferences, sub or no sub, room acoustics, and budget. It is very hard to decide to build a speaker unheard and unseen, but people here like JonMarsh and ThomasW will not let you build a bad speaker if you listen to them. If you live near a major metropolitan area with a DIY meet or someone here on the forum, most times you can go and give a listen to a DIY project and hear firsthand what a design sounds like. You can get a semblance of what some designs sound like from some of the major stickies at the beginning of the forum. Read them front to back even if you don't understand what they talk about at times and then ask questions.

Chuck

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

You'll hear the biggest difference between a TMWW, WTMW and any so called D'Appolito designs (MTMWW, WMTMW). This is due to the differences in lobing (dispersion).

Some will state one is 'better' let's say the TMWW than a MTMWW. It's really a subjective choice of which one prefers, rather than one being inherently 'better' than the other.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• A Reef Scene
        • Apr 2006

Would the type of speaker make any difference in the combos. Right now I would like to use a Vifa D27TG-35-06 for the tweeter, for the mid a Morel MV144, with a Morel mv 166 for the woofer. Any thoughts on if its a good set up or not would help greatly.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The configuration in the box isn't beneficial to any particular brand.

I've never been motivated to use a Morel driver so don't know anything about them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

The Morel tweeters are among my favourites, with the cone drivers I've only limited experience, but the 10 cm was rubbish (MW110 ???).

Comment

• A Reef Scene
              • Apr 2006

What would the forum suggest as a great speaker for the project?

Comment

• KeithM
                • Oct 2005

Since it looks like you have a high budget, look at the TMWW or dayton 3-way towers stickied on the top of this forum.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well the TMWW 3 way is actually rather cheap if you ask me. Around 500 bucks for parts for the 2 mains

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Well the TMWW 3 way is actually rather cheap if you ask me. Around 500 bucks for parts for the 2 mains
                    You chose a cheap crossover. :P
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                      You chose a cheap crossover. :P
                      Actually, $463 is with the cheap crossover, $500 is with the "normal" crossover. The question is how many Mundorf, Audiocap etc. etc. would it take to drive the price up $900 - $1000?

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I'm sure most would be more then happy with the "normal" crossover

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

I meant topology, but hey... You can go for the fancy parts too!
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• A Reef Scene
                            • Apr 2006

The info is great thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"