X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRedknight
    • Apr 2006

Router question

I don't have one, is it a big deal not to flush mount the speakers ? Does it make a difference ?

I'm building The UBT

This is my first project.
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

It will produce a measurable difference due to diffraction. I don't believe that such things are audible. I usually flush mount just for looks and audiophile cred.

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

In a word, yes, it is a big deal not to flush mount the drivers, especially the tweeter. See Zaphaudio - John posted some measurements of response both flush and surface mounted.

That said, one way around your lack of router is to use felt to build up the area around the drivers so it is acoustically flush.

Another is your friendly neighborhood rental store. You'd probably need to buy a bit, but for a few dollars you could rent a router. PMazz posted an inexpensive circle jig (it can be made from scrap)

EDIT: Although you might not hear much frequency response difference, I believe it will affect imaging, especially of things like cymbals as you end up with another effective sound source at the edge of the driver. I've noticed that the radius of the baffle roundover makes a difference. Nothing I can measure, but can definitely hear. When using a 1.25" roundover imaging improves markedly when compared to square edges. The difference between 3/4" and 1.25" is noticeable but not as great.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"