Can someone classify M&K speaker design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtt
    • Feb 2006

I was wondering if someone could classify the M&K design for the S-150 series? Is this a mini line array of some sort?

I currently own a set of these and think they sound very good, but I have yet to see a DIY design with this type of configuration. It seems like there would be great advantages to using multiple mid priced tweeters/mids to achieve low distortion, but you'd also gain more power handling and sensitivity.

Picture of speaker

Thanks

JT
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I would classify it as comb filtering embodied?

I honestly have no idea how bad it is (or isn't) since I've not heard these, but that's the very first thing that comes to mind. I am not really sure what design criteria caused that. If two of those domes are "mids" and it's crossing low, or...

It's not tall enough to be a line - or close. Though the tweeters are line-ish, but not really.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

The old THX spec required limited vertical dispersion of the tweeter to avoid problems with ceiling reflections and the stacked tweeters are what M&K came up with. I guess it sorta works, at least well enough for THX, but many people don't buy that theory of speaker design because the sound changes when you stand up and that's a Bad Thing. Personally, I'd rather either control dispersion with a horn/waveguide or simply treat the ceiling to absorb first reflections. THX theories are so 20th Century.....

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Bad?

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The M&K stuff (when I heard it long ago) sounds quite good when you're in the right spot... but that's the trick. It has problems in the vertical domain. And I guess that's intentional.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Chris, if you are ever out this way, Barrett's in Naperville/Aurora has the S-150 set up in a dedicated room (or did 6 months ago). When I was in there, it was pretty impressive with movies. Who knows how good they are with music, likely you guys are right -- bad. I've seem to remember a post on AVS a while ago where a guy swore by his though.

But, like you said, as long as you are in the "right spot".
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Who knows how good they are with music, likely you guys are right -- bad.
              I don't think anyone's saying that. It's been a while since I've heard M&Ks but I recall them sounding pretty good in the sweet spot. I just prefer speakers that sound good wherever you happen to be sitting or standing -- even in the next room -- the old SL power response thing.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"