Open baffle dipoles as dipole surrounds-anyone tried this ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marc g
    • May 2006

Open baffle dipoles as dipole surrounds-anyone tried this ?

As I have been researching my next pair of surrounds it seems kind of natural to get a dipole radiation pattern out of a driver mounted on an open baffle on a right angle to the wall. I thought a small-ish efficient extended range driver mounded on a moderately sized baffle would put the null over the listeners head and give some really diffuse sound front and back. If I used some of my vintage stuff- with :E whizzer cones :E facing rearward I imagine getting more treble to the rear to bounce off the wall. Hmmm, the reviews I've read on modern dipole radiation say the fq response is anything but flat in this mode so I think it leaves a lot on the table for the KIS principle.

Any one tried this before I make more sawdust ? Any thoughts ?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I use Maggie MMG's as my rear effects, but I certainly don't and wouldn't sit in the null.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"