X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

High SPL mic?

I am looking for a (hopefully inexpensive) microphone to do some subwoofer distortion measurements. Specifically, I am looking to feed band limited (20-100Hz) high amplitude noise to a sub and measure the distorted output signal as free from reflections as possible. This will probably be done outdoors and as close to the cone as the mic's range dynamic range will allow (I would like to be pushing the cone close to max excursion). What is the max SPL that condenser microphones like the ECM8000 can handle? Are there any inexpensive microphones that can handle more? Are there any caveats to recording 120, 130, 140db+ sounds? Any help would be appreciated.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The "real" condensor measuring mics have 200V power supplies and special attenuator assembilies, and can measure those kinds of SPL's reliably. Got a couple like that- a 30 year old Bruel and Kjar, and an ACCO Pacific. These are true instrumentation mics.

The ECM is an incredible value, but doesn't have the kind of electronics or screw in attenuator assemblies that would make those kinds of measurements possible. I'm not familiar with any amplified mic that will do that reliably. Some dynamic mics might hold up to the abuse, but distortion generated by the microphone would be another factor, same as occurs with over travel in a speaker.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Here ya go.....

Audix TR40 Reference Microphone. Does not include stand. 1/4" Condenser Capsule. 20Hz to 19kHz Frequency Response. Omnidirectional Microphone.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Yeah I've heard that dynamic mics are not so good for measurement. Do you think universities might have that sort of thing (the high amplitude capable condensers) onhand? I'm not too far removed from college and could go bother some folks, assuming the people I knew are still around.

If I tried to do a true 2pi measurement (as true as possible, anyway - sub mounted in a shallow box facing up in the middle of a basketball slab outside) would I really need to worry about getting the mic as close as possible to the sub, or could I just take 1 or 2m measurements? That would kill the need for a high SPL mic.

Also, are there any other good ways besides random noise signals to generate loads of data re: subwoofer nonlinear distortion? I mean I need craploads, the standard nonlinear distortion tests that you can run in praxis etc won't nearly generate enough data.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Yeah Thomas you guys measurement budget is a little bit beyond mine, well at least til I get employed. Under $200 isn't too bad at all though, it's just that I'm more or less broke

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There's no such thing as a low cost high SPL mic. You can have low cost, or high SPL, but not in the same package.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
              • Apr 2006

It's like smart, sexy and sane women then.

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Audio Control has a 180db mic, I know its reliable but do not know how acurate it is.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Audio Control has a 180db mic, I know its reliable but do not know how acurate it is.
                  It's specific for use with their RTA (or the mic preamp they used to sell). I have one of their RTA's and it's a dinosaur compared to TrueRTA.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    It's specific for use with their RTA (or the mic preamp they used to sell). I have one of their RTA's and it's a dinosaur compared to TrueRTA.
                    Didnt know it was specific to that RTA. Their RTA's displays do make a nice Christmas ornament. :lol
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Kim Girardin makes a high-SPL version of his mic; <3% distortion at 140dB. His standard mic is <3% distortion at 128dB. But his mics like a different preamp from the ones the Behringer likes; RCA connector and lower phantom voltage.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"