Any data/info on Peerless Exclusive 4" 830881?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvercans
    • Nov 2005

Any data/info on Peerless Exclusive 4" 830881?

Anyone have any data on these? Want to know what the distortion and FR curve looks like. Anyone have subjective comments on them. I'm torn between these and the DAyton RS52 dome.
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

diymobileaudio.com has distortion figures and comments on these

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

I'm using these with a C12 tweeter and RS225 woofer crossed around 380HZ and 3K with 2nd order slopes. The 881 has a LOT of detail in this system, plus you are safer crossing them as I did versus a dome mid which can only realistically go down to 800-900HZ unless using a very steep crossover. Highly recommended. I may develop an RS225, 883, RS28a speaker to compare the differences. What other drivers are you considering to mate with the 881?

Comment

• silvercans
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the resonses.

Jed:
        I'm thinking of using a RS225, and for a tweeter I'm not really sure (either XT19, RS28, or H1212. What do you think?).

Cotdt:
        I saw the data posted on that site but questioned it because of how ragged the FR response looked.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by silvercans
          Thanks for the resonses.

Jed:
          I'm thinking of using a RS225, and for a tweeter I'm not really sure (either XT19, RS28, or H1212. What do you think?).
          Well, you can't beat the performance of the RS225s at their cost. The advantage of the 881 is the ability to cross higher--- up to 3K or so. Might as well go with a nice dispersion tweeter like the Xt19.

I wouldn't get hung up on the FR too much. Once they are mounted in a box there are going to be peaks and dips added to the response anyway. Remember the measurements you saw were in free air and not on an IB if I recall correctly. To my eyes, the 881 appears to be the flattest FR of the exclusive bunch. If you have any more questions let me know. The 881 is my favorite midrange so far.

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

the 881 actually have a ruler flat FR curve to beyond 4kHz mounted on a box

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
              the 881 actually have a ruler flat FR curve to beyond 4kHz mounted on a box

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is the 881 simulated in an 11" wide box- for example.

Jed
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                Well, you can't beat the performance of the RS225s at their cost. The advantage of the 881 is the ability to cross higher--- up to 3K or so. Might as well go with a nice dispersion tweeter like the Xt19.

I wouldn't get hung up on the FR too much. Once they are mounted in a box there are going to be peaks and dips added to the response anyway. Remember the measurements you saw were in free air and not on an IB if I recall correctly. To my eyes, the 881 appears to be the flattest FR of the exclusive bunch. If you have any more questions let me know. The 881 is my favorite midrange so far.
                Hi Jed,

Subjectively, can you give some comparisons to some of the other midranges you've used? I'm very interested in using the 882 in an up coming project.

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                  Hi Jed,

Subjectively, can you give some comparisons to some of the other midranges you've used? I'm very interested in using the 882 in an up coming project.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I'm trying to hold off on subjective comments because a lot of it depends on each person's listening habits and tastes. For me, the 881 offers a lot of detail, soundstage depth, and clarity that is rarely found in similarly priced drivers. I'm not done tuning my crossover yet and taking final measurements, but things will just get even better as time goes on. If I had the choice of these drivers: Vifa XT woodpulp, SEAS W15CH, W15LY, Eton 4-300, or exclusive 881- I'd pick the 881 because it is pretty easy to work with and allows a variety of crossover topologies. And best of all- low distortion clean sound. I think they are a perfect match to RS woofers and Accuton tweeters. I'm even toying with the idea of an RS270 or RS225, 883, and RS28a 3 way to compare to my current setup. The reason being- a lot of folks say there may be some benefit in crossing lower-- say 200HZ and 2K versus the 385HZ and 3K crossover I am now using.

Jed

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                    Jim,

I'm trying to hold off on subjective comments because a lot of it depends on each person's listening habits and tastes. For me, the 881 offers a lot of detail, soundstage depth, and clarity that is rarely found in similarly priced drivers. I'm not done tuning my crossover yet and taking final measurements, but things will just get even better as time goes on. If I had the choice of these drivers: Vifa XT woodpulp, SEAS W15CH, W15LY, Eton 4-300, or exclusive 881- I'd pick the 881 because it is pretty easy to work with and allows a variety of crossover topologies. And best of all- low distortion clean sound. I think they are a perfect match to RS woofers and Accuton tweeters. I'm even toying with the idea of an RS270 or RS225, 883, and RS28a 3 way to compare to my current setup. The reason being- a lot of folks say there may be some benefit in crossing lower-- say 200HZ and 2K versus the 385HZ and 3K crossover I am now using.

Jed
                    Thanks Jed! It sounds like an exceptionally nice driver.

Jim

Comment

• toolsresearch
                      • May 2006

881 Advantage

I think the 881 is exceptional: it has a motor competitive with scans and excel, at a price nowhere near, say, w12 or 12m models. Then it beats the lot of them in excursion by 16%! As far as the cone goes, it is not as easy to work with as the scan 12m, but has a more subdued breakup than a metal cone.

Watch the sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"