X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprtfan
    • May 2006

Cheap and easy speakers for a computer

I have never built a speaker before and thought putting together a pair for my computer would be a good way to learn. I have a panasonic xr25 I could power them with or was thinking about getting T-amps. My current computer speakers are Klipsch Promedia Ultra and want what I build to sound better than they do at least. If someone knows of a guide or a good place to look for information that I could follow it would be great. I also might want to build a little sub to go with them so any information on that would be helpful as well.
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Cheap is relative- what's your budget?

"Computer speaker" usually implies a small size for listening within arm's reach. Do you have size limits? Check out the sticky threads here, but also this project:

-Joe Carrow

Comment

• sprtfan
      • May 2006

I'm viewing this as a learning experience and wanted to spend the smallest amount I could. Some where between $100-$200 is what I was thinking. If this is not reasonable let me know. My main goal is to get some experience in building a speaker and end up with something that would be better for 2 channel music than my Klipsch ultra promedia set up. The link you gave me looks great but I don't think I'm up to building that type of box yet. I'll look through the stickies here but thought most of those were for more expensive setups than I would want. Thanks for the feedback

Forgot to mention what size. I have plenty of room and do not have to worry to much about size. I was thinking something around 12"-7"-8" or about the same size as some Paradigm Atoms that I have used in the past. I can go bigger or smaller if need be too.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

You could build a simpler box with that design, as long as it has the same internal volume and the same width and height. Rounding the corners is definitely recommended, but if you have a router it could just be done with a 3/4" roundover bit.

A pair of these in a ported box could be a cute computer speaker; though not very efficient:

Alternately, I have to wonder how these would sound with a similar tweeter as the first project I listed:

-Joe Carrow

Comment

• sprtfan
          • May 2006

Thanks for the information. After checking out the stickies, there is one that would work if I increased my budget some so I might look into doing that one or the first one you provided with a different box. Thanks

Comment

• Mudjock
            • Sep 2005

You might be thinking about my RS150 MT, which uses the Seas H1212 tweeter. It can be built in the smallest Parts Express Box, which is very close to the dimensions you are looking for (baffle is 12" x 7.5"). Cost for drivers and crossover for a pair is between $150 and $200.... I think the crossover schematic is on this site somewhere, if you search my previous posts. You can always PM me too for more info.
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"