X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

What type of filling for a sub?

Finally my exams are over and I can spend more time researching on DIY projects. I'm thinking azbout going with a RL-p15 with a EP1500 amp, and was wondering what type of filler material do most of you use? Also, is it plausible to use the same filler in say a car sub?

My next question is how do you go about attaching the filler to the insides of teh sub? I have a hot glue gun and some wood glue, but I'm not too sure if that will hold it good.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

I use the polyfill you purchase at craft stores. You should be able to get it around $2-$3 per pound, which is a lot cheaper than Acousta-Stuf, which runs upwards of $8 per pound.

As far as attaching it to the sides that's more or less personal preference. It doesn't hurt if you do but it really won't do too much for the end result.

Oh, and yes, it's the same for home or car applications. :T

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I used R30 Fibreglass insulation.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        I used R30 Fibreglass insulation.
        Itchy, but I use the same.
        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

SVS also uses pink fibreglass.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
            • May 2006

Thanks again all for the quick responses. R30 Fibreglass is that the same stuff as the "pink pather" insulation used in houses?

As far as attaching goes, which would be the best way to hold it in place. I'm kinda scared that stuff may get in the speaker and ruin it (correct me if I'm wrong). I was thinking about guling it and then maybe getting me a stapler and stapling it down, but I'm also afraid I may mess up my box.

I'm going to experiment on my car sub before I work on my more expensive HT sub, but I still want to get everything right. On a side note though, what does a "high pass filter," and a "low pass filter," do and what would be a good setting for them in a car application?

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I used acoustic foam bought off ebay for cheap. I also used 3M super 90 spray adhesive to hold it to the sdes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside_view.webp
Views:	37
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	944086

Chuck
              Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:54 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                • May 2006

I have some leftover R19 (or R18) fiberglass insulation in my shed; would that work? Also, would the 3M super 90 spray adhesive work for the fiberglass (even for the top of the box)? Thanks again all!

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Yes, the spray adhesive should work to hold the fiberglass against the sides of the sub. Ssabripo and I used fiberglass insulation with the 3M adhesive for his sub and it worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"